Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > first batch in bottles and corked

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default first batch in bottles and corked

Ok I have a couple of questions...Bought a lot of supplies today including a corker...not crazy about the performance. I was careful but the corks depth was very inconsistent, the grippers that hold the bottle kept sliding up....If i hooked under the rim of the bottle the cork stuck out at least 1/4 inch. ......... That aside I screwed up and forgot to degas some of the wine( fermented completely dry..a shade under 1.000 and steady for a week or more.)......will I have troubles?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
RyanK2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Steve, this is pretty funny. I can't wait to see the answers you get as I did the exact same thing last night. I bought one of these two lever hand corkers and by mistake got synthetic corks. They don't compress well enough for that corker to press them in all the way. I improvised a bit. I had a neodynium magnet that was the same diameter as the plunger. I stuck it on the end and it added to the plungers stroke length pressing the corks in til only about 1/8" stuck out. I took a razor and just trimmed that little bit flush with the bottle. Ha! It was only 5 bottles that I am going to drink fairly soon anyhow. Also, I didn't degas it. It's a blackberry / acai wine that fermented out to just like yours, about 1.000. It's been silent for a month now so I'm hoping it'll be alright. A month ago I added pot. sorbate and a campden tablet and stirred it vigorously though. That may have degassed it enough.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply