I bought a kit from the local homebrew store to make wine. I followed the directions, even had the missus double check things. We let the wine stay in the primary fermentor for a week per the instructions and when we opened it up we had what looks to be mold floating around on top.
The mold was only on the top of the liquid and not suspended in it. The top layer of "wine" was definitely a different viscosity then the rest of the "wine".
Not what I was expecting to say the least. After some standing around scratching our heads we decided it was probably due to something not being as clean as it needed to be. What I don't know, we spent extra time making sure it was as good as could be.
We siphoned the wine into a newly cleaned glass carboy, topped it up and put it away to rest. It's been 3 days and I've noticed we have some very small "mold spores" starting to form on the top of the wine in the carboy. Which leads to my questions. What can I do, if anything, to save this? What could have caused this? Is this normal and I'm just overreacting?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.