Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Apfelwein Brew; Bubbling Away

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
AnotherFinch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just took a gravity reading exactly two weeks into brewing. It's not bubbling anymore, but it's still cloudy, so I think I'll give it another week or two.

My original gravity was 1.07, and two weeks later it's at .994. Now, if I'm doing my math correctly, I should be at around 10% AC, right?

Grrrr, I really can't wait 'till I can drink a finished aged pint of the stuff.

I just tried a tiny sip of the gravity tube, and even though I know it's not done (I was excited), it wasn't that bad. A little dry, but still a bit sweet/bitter, no lingering aftertaste, and it went down smooth.

Thanks, you guys!

Also, do I NEED to put it into a secondary fermenter, or should I just leave it in the primary as is until it's good and clear?

Is there a definite difference in taste?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_karma
edited for druck spelling

Last edited by AnotherFinch; 04-16-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No need for a secondary, just leave it. The finished product should be as clear as the juice you used.

No more taste tests Let that stuff sit for two to three more weeks.

Don't make the mistake I made..... start another batch right now.

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
AnotherFinch
Recipes 

I'm just waiting to get some cash tomorrow and head out to the store to do my second brew. I'm gonna play around a bit with the taste on this one, but nothing too extreme. I may end up starting it in about two days, so it shouldn't be too far behind the first one.

And all my friends are expecting a small taste testing party for the stuff, since I've been talking non-stop about brewing, so I get the impression that this stuff is gonna go FAST.

I guess I should charge a small fee per liter of the stuff just so I can pick up some Deer Park 6-7 gallon jugs?

Quote:

Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #14
AnotherFinch
Recipes 

Just started my second brew in a spare Deer Park bottle, as I sip on a glass of my finished first. I'll be starting another five gallons in a few days in my original carboy, then have ten around the corner.

Quote:

Quick Reply