Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fine, stabilize, acid/tannin adjustment - in which order?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Fine, stabilize, acid/tannin adjustment - in which order?

Considering doing my first blueberry wine, and am a bit confused by the post-fermentation process. I am planning to fine with SuperKleer (if necessary), stabilize with Campden/Potassium sorbate (1 tablet/gallon, 1/2 tsp per gallon), and backsweeten/acid blend/tannin to taste. But in which order are these steps usually done?

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I stabilize and fine at the same time, on the third racking, and after it drops clear then I will rack again and pull samples to play with acid adjustments, tannin adjustments, etc. to taste. Once you decide what adjustments you want you can add about 2/3 of the amount you think you will need based on your glass experiments, taste again, etc. and once it's dialed in go to bottle.

Since I do all of my adjustments by taste only it would be impossible before the wine has been fined, since the yeast in suspension will affect the pH and drastically alters the taste and mouthfeel of the wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I stabilize and fine at the same time, on the third racking, and after it drops clear then I will rack again and pull samples to play with acid adjustments, tannin adjustments, etc. to taste. Once you decide what adjustments you want you can add about 2/3 of the amount you think you will need based on your glass experiments, taste again, etc. and once it's dialed in go to bottle.

Since I do all of my adjustments by taste only it would be impossible before the wine has been fined, since the yeast in suspension will affect the pH and drastically alters the taste and mouthfeel of the wine.
My process is a bit different, as I typically don't stabilize or fine until the very end, if at all. I only stabilize if sweetening, and I rarely sweeten. My wines tend to fall clear on their own, so I rarely fine.

I will do the acid and tannin adjustments in secondary, wait until another racking, adjust again if needed, etc. It's easy to add more if not enough (if the wine is "flabby" for example) but you can't take it out once it's in there. Sometimes oaking changes more than the tannins- it brings out any sweetness, too (from the vanilla notes) and so it doesn't need as much acid.

Quick Reply