The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Filtered vs tap water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I can recommend the Moen carbon filter for under-the-sink installation. Filters last about 6 months in a household that uses it for all drinking and brewing purposes. The carbon is supposed to be effective in removing chlorine too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300RUM View Post
I think the filters I use are .5 micron
The system I had before had two housings, like you linked to, with a different micron rated filter in each. First had larger openings, second smaller. Think I usually went with the 2 micron then .5 micron filters. It was good in the glass (either as water or beer ). The new system I have does an even better job. Plus, the filters are super-easy to change. No tools needed (at all) unlike your system. I actually gave the 'wrench' I had from my system to my mother so she can use it with the filter housings on her RO system. Or rather, so I can since I have to change the filters for her.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #13
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I use water filtered through the refrigerator for my one-gallon batches. Five gallons will sort of overload the filter...not really supposed to run that much through at a time. It makes awesome drinking water (GE Smartfilter). Because this is going into something I'm taking a lot of time and trouble to make well, I have started changing the filters twice as often per year as is recommended. Won't hurt, that's for sure. So far so good.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Quick Reply