Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fermentation won't stop - Should I transfer to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
dbrump
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation won't stop - Should I transfer to secondary?

Hi,
I bought a wine kit about a month ago and it is happily fermenting in the garage. It has been fermenting at 20 degrees for approximately a month now and although it has slowed it is showing no signs of stopping. The kit's instructions state that it should only take approximately 1 week to finish. What should I do? Should I leave it until it stops or should I transfer it to another vessel to finish. I'm concerned that the dead yeast or trub settling at the bottom might alter the flavour.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrump View Post
Hi,
I bought a wine kit about a month ago and it is happily fermenting in the garage. It has been fermenting at 20 degrees for approximately a month now and although it has slowed it is showing no signs of stopping. The kit's instructions state that it should only take approximately 1 week to finish. What should I do? Should I leave it until it stops or should I transfer it to another vessel to finish. I'm concerned that the dead yeast or trub settling at the bottom might alter the flavour.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Dave
If the hydrometer reading is where the kit instructions say (generally under 1.000), then transfer it.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Definitly check the current gravity with a hydrometer. Depending on the type of yeast/temperature (thanks for including that btw, it helps!), fermentation can take a month or more.

If you find your gravity to still be high, try stiring the yeast gently to re-suspend it.

If your gravity is close to 1.000 or below, a transfer is in order.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
mcfergyflav
Recipes 

why fermenting at 20 degrees? those kits say usually ferment between 65-75 degrees..

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfergyflav View Post
why fermenting at 20 degrees? Those kits say usually ferment between 65-75 degrees..
20c = 68f

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Quick Reply