Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fermentation WILL NOT START

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation WILL NOT START

I juiced about 50 pounds of apples to produce 3+ full gallons of raw juice/cider. I racked it a couple of times while it was still just the pressed juice to get rid of a lot of sediment.

It started to ferment on it's own, so I added about 2 crushed campden tablets to the carboy and let it sit for a full 48 hours with NO AIRLOCK to prevent the HSO2 from escaping.

I tried to proof a packet of refrigerated Lavlin K1V-1116 (expiration date in 2008) with no effect, so I pitched it anyway. Must was about 66 degrees.

NO ACTIVITY within 24 hours.

So I put a heating pad under the carboy. It's now about 70-72 degrees.

I proofed a packed of refrigerated Lavlin 71B-1122 (expiration 2008), but it's reaction rate was ANEMIC! I pitched it anyway. That was 5 hours ago and it hasn't done a damn thing.

I'll give it another 24 hours.

I have sufficient sugar, yeast nutrient and yeast energizers in the must.

I proofed a packet of 71B-1122 from the same lot, stored in the same way a week ago and the apple wine it's in is fermenting vigorously.

What do I do if fermentation isn't starting???

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
Bottled and Aging: dry mead, sack mead
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you get an OG of the juice before the wild yeasts started to ferment it? Have you added any other sugars to it?

Old 09-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
VermontFreedom
Recipes 

Yes, the OG was higher than any other concoction I've ever made 1.08-something!

As per recipe, I added about 2 lbs sugar per gallon.

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Old 09-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I just had a peach wine that took over a week to get going. My wine guy told me I most likely over sulphited it(campden), and it would take awhile for this to break down. Make sure it's airated properly and give it a good stir every other day. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
VermontFreedom
Recipes 

I let the campden work for 48 hours - 24 hours longer than usually recommended, so I think that had little effect.

I pitched my first packet of yeast after an attempted proofing (it never started) and it never started in the must. So I pitched a second packet, which started VERY slowly, but then, 24 hours after that second pitching, took off. Now, 36 hours after second pitching, it's going gangbusters. I hope I didn't overpitch!!

And I mispoke when earlier said my 1.086 OG was higher than anything else. Looking back over my records, I see OG in the 1.133 and 1.176 ranges for other things, notably ice wine!

Bottom line is I need to learn a little patience.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It does happen sometimes where you think it's never going to start fermenting despite everything being 'text book perfect'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontFreedom
Bottom line is I need to learn a little patience.
You did fine!

Quick Reply