I started making mixed berry wine on tuesday (december 18th). It only bubbled for 2 days and it now has stopped. I put in 2 pounds of dextrose for the 3 gallons of juice. I used a 5 gram packet of Red Star Pasteur Red. I sanitized and did everything I normally would do. Can someone tell me what happened and how it can be fixed? I have yet to try it because I am always very cautious about removing the airlock
What was your starting SG, and what is it now? Usually, you'll want to do primary fermentation in an open container (bucket), then transfer to a carboy w/ airlock when it slows. It could have simply finished very quickly. Best bet is to take an SG to see where you stand.
If it is stuck, make youself a starter w/ warm water. After 45mins, add 1/4oz of the must. Wait another 2hrs, and add 1/2oz of must. Repeat this 2-3 more times every 2-3hrs and you'll have a very strong starter colony to restart. When adding, slowly pour onto the top of the must but don't stir. After 10-12hrs, stir deeply to integrate. Monitor the SG and transfer to secondary and airlock when ready.
You really need to use a hydrometer to determine what is going on with your wine. Airlock activity is not a reliable method. But do not be afraid to remove the airlock to take a reading, your wine is tougher than you think especially if you have proper SO2 on board and have must in proper temperature ranfe.
I ferment in a bucket, lid just covering, typically lasts for 5-8 days and even stir twice a day, with no oxidization. Once the O.G. drops by 2/3 I transfer to carboy and secure airlock. But many people prefer to start with airlock from the start-a matter of choice.
I once had a wine ferment from 1.098 to 0.998 in less than 72 hours after pitching the same yeast, Pasteur Red.
But you will not know until you check the S.G.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.