The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fast Banana Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #21
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I opened a bottle of the sweet banana wine, in the name of.. uh... science. Yeah. I did not stir it so I could sample it clear first.

Although it is clear there is sediment in the bottle, the first pouring was crystal clear. The flavor was nice, a fairly solid banana flavor. Still a bit much alcohol flavor and aroma, as expected.

After tasting I poured the rest of the glass back in the bottle and mixed the sediment back in. The second pour was, of course, very cloudy. Still a nice sold banana flavor, more apparent sweetness. A much more...hmmm. Rounded flavor I would have to say. I much preferred the second pour to the first, it also has a nicer mouth feel. Still to much alcohol flavor, though it was less apparent after mixing things up.

Good stuff either way, it needs some more time though.

dsc_0002.jpg   dsc_0005.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I sampled the dry wine that is on the oak chips. It is the same color as the first sample from above. The banana aroma is lower then I was hoping, though present. The flavor was pretty much identical to the first sample from above, only not so sweet. There is a tiny amount of tannic bite at this point. I'm going to leave it on the oak chips for another week at least.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #23
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The oaked portion of the batch now has a nice mild tannic bite to it. I'm pulling it off the oak chips and bottling now. It was crystal clear. I'm running it through coffee filters because of the small volume of the batch, so It's being bottled cloudy. I expect that to settle out fairly quickly in the bottle.

The alcohol flavor has mellowed more then I had expected considering the short amount of time involved. That's a good sign for the rest of the batch.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just sampled some of the dry banana wine, not the oaked this time. The appearance is the same as the first sample from above. I was slightly surprised to find that the sediment had compacted so tightly in the bottom of the bottle that it did not come out. Even after swished the second half of the bottle around before pouring. The dry wine was bottled with far less particulate content then the sweet though.

It has a definite banana flavor and aroma. The alcohol flavor and aroma is almost gone. At a guess, this will be fully mature at 6 months. At just under 3 months, it's definitely drinkable. It's got that, this isn't sweet but your taste buds think it should be, effect to it. It's a little like very good, but dry, hard apple cider in that way. The flavor of the spices in the overall profile is a little lower then I expected. Next time I think I would increase them by about 20%. They are adding complexity, but it's a bit to subtle for me.

Happy brewing everybody!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
splattsmier
Burton Brewhouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I look forward to doing this soon

Untappd my homebrew: BurtonBrewhouse

MY CELLAR: http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/ScottyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
"They can try to pry the mash paddle from my cold, dead hands."
Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Sammyk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone ever made this without cooking the bananas first? I have 10 pounds of frozen bananas in the freezer and am wondering why I cannot just thaw them in strainer bags and then proceed with the recipe.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyk View Post
Has anyone ever made this without cooking the bananas first? I have 10 pounds of frozen bananas in the freezer and am wondering why I cannot just thaw them in strainer bags and then proceed with the recipe.

Any thoughts?
Hmm, it sounds yummy. I'd be a little concerned that you wouldn't get as much of the banana flavor out of the fruit.

If you decide to do this, please let us know how things go.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #28
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I sampled the dry banana wine today.

The point about bottling with lots of particulates was correct in so much as it's detrimental to the presentation. The banana did finally oxidize and turn brown. That makes it look like a glass of diarrhea. I'll clear before bottling in the future.

After six months the hot alcohol has aged out. It's got very little apparent alcohol. It does have that, reminds you of something sweet, flavor. Though it came out overly dry for my tastes. The banana flavor is also weaker then I would like. Not by a great deal, but it could use more of a banana punch. Next time I'll increase the proportion of banana flesh to liquid volume. With the particulates in it it is better, more rounded flavor. Much more banana flavor. The awfulness of the presentation really kills the idea of leaving them in though.

I think I'll treat this the way I usually do my cider. I'll bottle dry, and keep a bottle of simple syrup on hand to sweeten to taste. No real need to run two versions.

The spice addition turned out to be spot on after six months. Without the particulates to mask them, the spices are really just perfectly balanced.

Quick Reply