*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
RedGapBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extracts

Has anyone ever used vanilla extract or other extracts in their wine? Does it really add flavor? How much would you use per gallon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGapBrew
Has anyone ever used vanilla extract or other extracts in their wine? Does it really add flavor? How much would you use per gallon?
I used one ounce of blackberry flavoring in a five gallon batch I did. The flavor of this ounce was VERY potent. If you do add any, use a syringe to add a mL at a time.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not all extracts are the same, so you really need to do a bench trial before you add to wine.

For vanilla, I find that 5-7 drops of quality vanilla extract (I make my own) per 750ml bottle is quite nice...but then again you always have to trial it because what works in one scenario may not work in the next.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
Not all extracts are the same, so you really need to do a bench trial before you add to wine.

For vanilla, I find that 5-7 drops of quality vanilla extract (I make my own) per 750ml bottle is quite nice...but then again you always have to trial it because what works in one scenario may not work in the next.
I learned the hard way..... Test with a sample first! I added my extract to a gallon, added too much, tried blending back the rest of the batch to save the gallon, ended up screwing up the entire 5 gallon batch! Yikes!

Quick Reply