Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Extra Head Room

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Solo1013
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extra Head Room

I am getting ready to rack rhubarb wine from my primary into my secondary. Because of my inexperience when buying my supplies, my secondary is a 6 gallon carboy and I am only making 4 gallons of wine.

It is my understanding that this is far too much head space in the carboy. What is the best way to remedy this problem short of buying new carboys?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1013 View Post
I am getting ready to rack rhubarb wine from my primary into my secondary. Because of my inexperience when buying my supplies, my secondary is a 6 gallon carboy and I am only making 4 gallons of wine.

It is my understanding that this is far too much head space in the carboy. What is the best way to remedy this problem short of buying new carboys?
I haven't done it but sanitized marbles or ss bearings dropped in the carboy ( GENTLY) to fill it up. BUT I'd say you would be cheaper to buy a smaller carboy.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Solo1013
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I haven't done it but sanitized marbles or ss bearings dropped in the carboy ( GENTLY) to fill it up. BUT I'd say you would be cheaper to buy a smaller carboy.
Thanks. I was able to pick up some super cheap marbles on clearance from a local craft store. I really probably should have just bought another carboy but I'm giving this method a shot.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
doody
Recipes 

i was wondering how big of a deal this would be in the final product if it was just four gallons in a six carboy. i am sure it would work, but as far as long term storage and taste i am not sure. I don't think it is as big a deal as people make it out to be, at least when making ciders. I have 2 gallons left of apfelwien in a six gallon carboy and have been taking off gallons the last month and notice no difference

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by doody View Post
i was wondering how big of a deal this would be in the final product if it was just four gallons in a six carboy. i am sure it would work, but as far as long term storage and taste i am not sure. I don't think it is as big a deal as people make it out to be, at least when making ciders. I have 2 gallons left of apfelwien in a six gallon carboy and have been taking off gallons the last month and notice no difference
If you haven't noticed a difference, you're lucky. Wine oxidizes quickly with headspace, and it'll take on "sherry" like notes and turn a bit brownish. I'd say to drink it fast, because it gets worse as time goes on.

Quick Reply