Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Expensive vs inexpensive wines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
SaltyPirate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Expensive vs inexpensive wines

I've read in numerous places that give a blind taste test of wine, most people can't tell the difference between a really expensive wine and 5$ gallon jug wine.

Does it follow that wine kits are the same way?

I just started homebrewing and am slowly but surely persuading the wife to start making her own wine... *tents fingers menacingly*

Anyway since sources are always nice, a quick google search gave me these:

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...16/cheap-wine/

http://www.vinography.com/archives/2...aste_bett.html

http://www.corbettbarr.com/cheap-vs-...the-difference

hm, it looks like the conclusion is that ignorance is bliss...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Are you "most people"?

From all accounts, the *good* wine kits are well worth it, and you still end up paying well less than $10 a bottle.

In terms of commercial wine, most cheap wine (<$8 or so) tends to me to be very one-dimensional (usually very sweet), but I find plenty, plenty of great wines at ~$15 or so. Depends on what you're looking for. My sense is that there's a law of diminishing returns, there's a big difference (usually) between a $5 bottle and a $10 or $15 bottle, but less difference between a $15 bottle and one that costs $25. Speaking in VERY broad strokes, though.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
SaltyPirate
Recipes 

For the most part I'm most people

I can certainly agree with your suggestion of diminishing returns. I had a friend once who was 100% alcoholic and spent a lot of money on wines (and other booze...). When I drank with him I could very rarely determine a difference between $50 and $30 wines.

Seems the wines I like the most are in the $15-25 range. Probably partly because my pocketbook gets offended at excessive expenditures, heh.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
zilch
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I agree with Bird. I've purchased some cheap wine kits and been disappointed in the result. I'd suggest purchasing at least the mid-range kits to start with - that way there's a better chance she'll continue making wine.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Hoppin_Mad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am definitely in the camp that says once you start getting past 25 dollars a bottle there is a good chance that alot of the improvement in taste is just the taste of money. However, I always think that in terms of brewing beer/wine you might as well spring for the higher quality starting ingredients - you are going to end up getting a great deal in terms of price anyway so why not spend a few extra dollars on the front end?

With the time and effort you are going to put into any homebrew project it is a shame if your final product isn't what you hoped just because you didn't start with quality ingredients.

Reason: love

Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
SaltyPirate
Recipes 

I'll keep all this in mind. As a general rule I don't like grabbing the cheapest ingredients for any recipe I use.

Thanks for the insight.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4909 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I've said this before, but the expensive kits in this case generally ARE worth it, depending on what you want.

The cheaper $60ish Winexpert kits are ok. They make a wine that I would consider equal to about a $5-$7 bottle. One dimensional, easy drinking, and ready soon. They are good, and I make a couple every year, for an every day dinner wine at home.

The more expensive $80-$100 kits are better. They tend to have more juice, and not as much concentrate and don't tend to have as much as a "kit taste" to them. They may be a little more complex, but still ready soon and don't age well. They remind me of a $10-$15 bottle of wine. This is good enough for company, as long as they like Yellow Tail-type wines.

The best kits come with grape skins and more juice. They have oak spirals instead of oak dust. They have quality juice from quality grapes. They are usually $135-$200 and I'd compare them to a $20-$25 bottle of wine, or more, if treated well and aged appropriately. They have depth and complexity and are good enough for guests unless your guests are intractable wine snobs.

I make a combination of each of these price ranges each year. Usually one (or two at most) of the "best" kits, a couple of the el cheapo kits, and maybe one of the middle range. This gives me a good selection for my cellar. Bob drinks wine every day with meals, so we sometimes want a tasty bottle of cheap wine and those el cheapo kits are great for that. Better than Carlo Rossi swill, and cheaper besides. The best kits will age well for up to 5 years or more, so we only drink them for special occasions, company, or just because. The middle priced ones we enjoy because they aren't too expensive, but better than the cheap wines we could buy, so we have them whenever we're not drinking the el cheapo stuff.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like Gallo of Sonoma and they are not all that expensive. About $8 for a bottle. Price is about half of what it was 4 years ago for a bottle.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
Hoppin_Mad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Better than Carlo Rossi swill,

Blasphemy!! Mr. Rossi got me through college....

Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

thanks for that write up Yooper. I've only done the $70-range WineXpert kits and liked them plenty.

I agree they aren't 'special' but they taste a HELL of a lot better than 'two buck chuck' but end up costing the same price (about $3 a bottle).

I also prefer my wife cook with my cheap wine and drink whats left (or forget to drink it) than her buying $10 wine to make a sauce with.

My wine palate just isn't refined enough to appreciate great wine

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply