Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Excess foam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Kate-o
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Excess foam

Hi, I am on day 5 of primary fermentation with 3 Identical white wine kits. 2 of the batches look like the ones I have made before and are identical, but the third has lots of foamy bubbles on top. (The other 2 just have small fizzy bubbles)

Is this an issue? Could I have done something wrong? I have made these kits before and followed sanitizing instructions etc. carefully.

The one that is foamy is a slightly smaller pail and has the least room between the must and the lid.

It was cooler in my basement a few days ago, so I have the pails wrapped in a blanket and was running a small heater, but the heater was making it too warm so I'm not using it now. I'm worried the temperature fluctuation has done something, but not sure since only the one batch is foamy.

When I stir the must, the foam goes away but returns within a couple hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
RegarRenill
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Sounds like the foam is just CO2 degassing from your active fermentation. The smaller pail has a smaller air:must ratio, so the same off gassing would appear more violent/foamy in the smaller pail in comparison to the larger ones.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Kate-o
Recipes 

Excellent! So not to worry? Anything I should keep an eye out for? Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply