Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Ever made a "wine cooler" and I am not talking about adding 7up to a glass of wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0fish View Post
My brother and i have been meandering through that territory for a bit now. It started out as apple juice and beer yeast.. then grape juice.. but a trip to walmart yielded lemonade and limeade (to be done together), fruit punch, and blueberry pomegranate

what has the final product ben like:
ABV?
Sweetness?
CO2??
Taste???
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Guthrie
Recipes 

I have pineapple juice with white grape concentrate in the secondary right now. I would say it's more like a wine cooler than anything else, with an abv of around 6.5. It's clearing nicely now and should be a nice summer drink once carbonated.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie View Post
I have pineapple juice with white grape concentrate in the secondary right now. I would say it's more like a wine cooler than anything else, with an abv of around 6.5. It's clearing nicely now and should be a nice summer drink once carbonated.
hey sounds tasty!!! are you going to carbonate dry or sweet & pasteurize??
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
Guthrie
Recipes 

I'll probably carbonate it dry it's just easier.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
what has the final product ben like:
ABV?
Sweetness?
CO2??
Taste???
So far, he's had a few successes. I made apfelwein once by mistake and I'm waiting on my fruit punch to wrap up (or hopefully cold crash once I hit my ABV.)

All of our offerings have been still and very sweet at 7-10%abv depending. If you don't let all the sugars get nommed up, you can retain a lot of the flavors from before fermentation - for instance, my brother's first shot at apple juice tasted like Martinelli's (that's a sweet sparkling cider, big around here on thanksgiving.)

He's done a few batches of applehooch (cider, perhaps, we're still not clear on that are we).. one with grape juice and liquid tannin (tasted like Riunite Lambrusco or maybe Manischewitz). We tasted his blueberry pomegranate (again, liquid juice concentrates) and it's about what you'd expect.

I have a gallon of minute maid fruit punch that I may have buffed with entirely too much sugar (1.5lb) that's going like gangbusters over maybe 1/8 packet of Safale US-05. Depending on how it turns out, I'll use the same for my lemonade-limeade concentrate.

Does this help at all? I'm honestly unsure

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Quick Reply