Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Ever heard of quince wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
alleycat50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ever heard of quince wine?

I have a garden in my yard with quince bush(tree shrub whatever it is). It has a small apple like fruit on it. It is very sour. I was thinking of makeing a wine with it but the only wine that I have made is with kits.

Is there any ideas.

Also, has anyone ever seen quince. The bush looks like pics that I have seen, but I am wondering if the fruit is the same. I have read that the fruit on them is usually flat like a doughnut, mine is round like an apple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Jack Keller has a couple recipes on his site: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques51.asp
and
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request125.asp

I'm no botanist, so I can't tell you if you have a quince shrub or not. You can probably google quince, though and see if it looks like yours! I've made quite a few country wines, and it's pretty easy. It takes longer than a kit, but definitely worth the wait.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The quince is an extremely fragrant round fruit, not unlike an apple or an orange in shape.

It has an extremely astringent and sour taste, and for years it's usually only been used to make jelly.

You probably would want to mix it with something for a bit more flavor, and use gelatin and maybe some of the other products which reduce astringency.

An old neighbor told us years and years ago, "The Polish girls used to put quinces in the drawers where they kept their underwear. The fragrance would drive the guys wild!"

Never tried that.

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Quick Reply