Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Elderflower champagne with a bitter aftertaste anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
beardfarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Elderflower champagne with a bitter aftertaste anyone?

For a first go at brewing, I have recently made this following the riverhill cottage recipe using elderflowers from my garden. All seemed to be going well. It's in bottles now still fizzing away, I refrigerated some to try after the recommended time... it smells lovely and even tastes lovely right up to an incredibly bitter after-taste which is enough to not enjoy it.

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused this? and if it can possibly be rectified? I'd hate to throw the lot away.. but it's undrinkable

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Sounds like the ph is out of wack. You could try adding acids to it and see if that helps. You could also try back sweetening it. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you. I have dumped a batch or two in my time so don't feel too bad about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
beardfarmer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88
Sounds like the ph is out of wack. You could try adding acids to it and see if that helps. You could also try back sweetening it. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you. I have dumped a batch or two in my time so don't feel too bad about it.
Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look into that and give it a go. Quite prepared to dump it all it if it still doesn't work, just as long as I can understand why before trying next time. Cheers

Quick Reply