New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Egg white clearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Egg white clearing

I keep running across mentions of using egg whites to clear wine, but not the actual description. Is it just one egg at a time, yoke removed? Is it multiple eggs mixed together a little bit? No one ever mentions potential problems with salmonella, either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

I've never done it, since there are so many good clarifyers for wine, so I looked at Jack Keller's website to see what he has to say about egg whites. (He's my winemaking idol!).

He says: Egg white is an excellent fining agent for removing haze caused by excessive tannin. Separate an egg and gently beat the white in a small amount of the unclarified wine. C.J.J. Berry insists that one must add a pinch of salt to the white before beating it. I will certainly not argue with him. Use half the beaten white per 5-gallon carboy. Simply pour the beaten egg white into the wine and stir well with a long sterilized rod. Refit the airlock and set aside for ten days. The wine should clarify. Rack and bottle it at once.

I tend to go with Sparkeloid for most wines that don't clear on their own. But I have used SuperKleer with good results. More info from Jack Keller's site in on this page: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp (about 1/2 way down the finings start).

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh, okay. No, I don't think I'll be using that method any time soon because I don't usually have problems due to tannin. Actually, I normally don't have problems when I put in pectic enzyme, but I have this 2.5 month old peach wine that isn't clearing. I've heard peaches can be a bugger, and mine seems no different. I'm not really ready to bottle it, but at the same time, I'm getting a bit twitchy.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Hinermad
Recipes 

Do egg white and gelatin perform similarly? They're both made mainly of protein.

Dave

Quick Reply