egg smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
That's the only way to describe it. I only pitched my yeast this morning. Is this normal? I mean it smells up my house. Bluck. Can I do something about it? Or should I dump and start over?

It's sulfur. Some yeasts produce it in abundance, making the carboy smell like taco night and driving the wife to insanity. White Labs Kölsch and Wyeast American Wheat are two major culprits I've worked with. What yeast are you using? It will die down after 2 days and won't effect the finished beer by the way.

Montrachet. First time I have ever smelled it and third time using this type. Okay it'll go away on its own? Good to know. Man I got home from work and was like "who didn't flush". Took about ten minutes and on further investigation... its a really bad smell from my primary. Boooo. Febreeze don't even help.

Ooh yeah. Montrachet is a big time fart producer. It took a month to leave my cider. It will go though. And the good news is that the sulfite production discourages infection ;)

Well good to know! I guess I cant yell at the boys for cutting their butt burps for the next couple days then. I can just hear it now. Ugh.

One time I was using a similar smelling yeast, and i get a text at work from my wife - "I don't know what the hell you've got going on here but my eyes are watering and I've got company coming!" She has to muscle a 70 lb carboy into the garage so the guests didn't vomit :D

One time I was using a similar smelling yeast, and i get a text at work from my wife - "I don't know what the hell you've got going on here but my eyes are watering and I've got company coming!" She has to muscle a 70 lb carboy into the garage so the guests didn't vomit :D

You are lucky her uterus didn't shoot out onto the floor! :p

lol did her guests drink wine that night???? If they did you should have told them that smell is a by product of what they just drank lol

Back