Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Ed's APFELWEIN Yeast Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Benjibbad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Putting the bottles in the fridge won't do the same as cold crashing in bulk. If you don't have the space available to you for a cold crash. I would let it sit for about a month in primary and transfer to secondary for another month to help clear it out. You could even try some finings like insenglas (sp) a couple days before you bottle. If you want some of those banana/clove flavors try starting the primary out around 75-80 and bring it back down after about a week. YES use a blow off tube if you are starting a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy. It will save some clean up.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure ale yeast will be able to handle the alcohol content in apfelwein. Definitely keep an eye on hydrometer readings to make sure it's fully fermented before you bottle.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
jhonda00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjibbad View Post
Putting the bottles in the fridge won't do the same as cold crashing in bulk. If you don't have the space available to you for a cold crash. I would let it sit for about a month in primary and transfer to secondary for another month to help clear it out. You could even try some finings like insenglas (sp) a couple days before you bottle. If you want some of those banana/clove flavors try starting the primary out around 75-80 and bring it back down after about a week. YES use a blow off tube if you are starting a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy. It will save some clean up.

Are you guys thinking this might not be a bad idea? Also, do you think I should go with Hefeweizen or Belgian Wit yeast?

I think, therfore I drink.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
unclejimbay
Recipes 

I make a hard cider all the time with WB06 Ale yeast. It comes out nice with a clove/caramel spice to it.

I would not try "Apfelwein" with Ale yeast though, to high of an ABV.

If I was you, I would try both yeast cakes with the same recipe and compare.

Try this recipe.

Mott's Apple Juice (or any one with no preservatives, White House works good to)
10 oz of Light Brown Sugar per gallon (should come out to 1.060 OG)
1 tsp of yeast nutrient per gallon (helps it out since it's Ale yeast)

Ferment it for 3 weeks between 65-75F. Most Ale yeasts I have used always stop a ~1.00 SG (OG @ 1.060-1.00 FG = ~7.8% abv) Rack to a bottling bucket. Make a simple syrup w/ 6 tsp of table sugar per gallon for carbonation. Mix it in gently and bottle accordingly. Store capped bottles @ 75F for 2 weeks, then chill and enjoy.

This is a tried and true recipe, let me know if you use it with you yeasts, I am curious how it turns out.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
unclejimbay
Recipes 

if you call it a cider - who cares if it doesnt clear - I would drink cloudy cider if it had some banana tinge to it!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
jhonda00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejimbay View Post
I make a hard cider all the time with WB06 Ale yeast. It comes out nice with a clove/caramel spice to it.

I would not try "Apfelwein" with Ale yeast though, to high of an ABV.

If I was you, I would try both yeast cakes with the same recipe and compare.

Try this recipe.

Mott's Apple Juice (or any one with no preservatives, White House works good to)
10 oz of Light Brown Sugar per gallon (should come out to 1.060 OG)
1 tsp of yeast nutrient per gallon (helps it out since it's Ale yeast)

Ferment it for 3 weeks between 65-75F. Most Ale yeasts I have used always stop a ~1.00 SG (OG @ 1.060-1.00 FG = ~7.8% abv) Rack to a bottling bucket. Make a simple syrup w/ 6 tsp of table sugar per gallon for carbonation. Mix it in gently and bottle accordingly. Store capped bottles @ 75F for 2 weeks, then chill and enjoy.

This is a tried and true recipe, let me know if you use it with you yeasts, I am curious how it turns out.
Well this sounds good, but have you ever made Ed's Apfelwein? If so, which one do you prefer? My girlfriends brother is coming into town for the holidays and he loves cider so I wanted to have something good to drink for him.

I think, therfore I drink.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
unclejimbay
Recipes 

I personally prefer the cider with light brown sugar, it has a bit more taste and takes a bit less time for fermentation (2 weeks). It's also a bit cheaper since you use light brown sugar instead of corn sugar.

I also very much like the Apelwein. I alternate between cider/apfelwein. I would suggest making the apfelwien first, you can not go wrong with it. And it gets better with age so start a batch ASAP for the holidays. It is the best baseline for comparison.

It carbs excellent after 4 weeks of fermentation @ 6 tsp of table sugar per gallon.

Quick Reply