Ed's APFELWEIN Juice Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
Can't get the Tree Top Juice anywhere near me.

Have local cider mills producing cider this time of year, but not sure if that's ok or juice only. Can anyone help me with a recommendation? I'd love to get this going now in time for the cold winter months!

As long as it doesn't have any preservatives in it you should be ok. Cider is going to taste a little different than using tree top, but you should be ok.

i use the target brand juice and it turns out perfect. its called market fresh or something like that but its the target brand crap. hope that helps you.

Johnnybutt, yes it does. Thank you very much =) Got a Target right around the corner. ;)

**edit** For the record, it's called "Market Pantry 100% Apple Juice"

Any particular fermenting temp required?

I can do it in my keggerator at a constant 65 degrees....or I can do it at ambient. Which can swing from 50 at night to 75 in the day. ( Fall is coming )

i would try to keep as constant a temp as possible so stick with your keggerator. i would say that for all brews, to keep a constant temperature at all times.

I just want to check that it is fine if the juice contains citric acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The only one that is a problem is potassium sorbate, right?

Citric and ascorbic are fine. Sorbate and benzoate are the growth inhibitors, although there are posts on here where people have successfully overwhelmed the sorbate with a healthy yeast starter. Not worth the risk in my opinion if you can get juice without it. BTW, I noticed last night that my Wal-Mart also carries a really good looking apple juice in the produce section. They keep it chilled but I suspect that is more for marketing than anything else. It's $3.97 a gallon, same as the Musselman's. May have to try it next time.

Back