Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Earliest known winery found!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Grancru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Earliest known winery found!

6,000 yrs ago, in Armenia: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20110111/ancient-winery-found-in-armenia-110111/

Sorry all you brewers. This is clear evidence wine was first.

I can feel the die-hards blood boiling.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” - George Burns

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grancru View Post
Sorry all you brewers. This is clear evidence wine was first.

I can feel the die-hards blood boiling.
I'm not so sure about that. Beer recipe found that dates back to 7000 BCE; that's 9000 years old:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128587208
1. Oktoberfest 2. Oktoberfest 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Cali Common, IPA, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout x2

Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Beer recipe found that dates back to 7000 BCE; that's 9000 years old:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128587208
If I read that right, they just found a pot that once contained various rotted fruits at one time or another with no indication that it was intentional.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Of course it was rotted, it was 9,000 years old!... Ok seriously, I think I have to throw my vote in for mead, it just seems the most likely. Some natural honey in a leather sachel, watered down so it lasted longer or was easier to use, then voila it becomes mead!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFireWine View Post
If I read that right, they just found a pot that once contained various rotted fruits at one time or another with no indication that it was intentional.
The point is that they found a recipe for beer that dates back 9,000 years, proving beer was brewed at least that long ago.

TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Cali Common, IPA, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout x2

Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
The molecular evidence told McGovern the vessels from China once contained an alcoholic beverage made of rice, grapes, hawthorn berries and honey.

"What we found is something that was turning up all over the world from these early periods," he says. "We don't have just a wine or a beer or a mead, but we have like a combination of all three."
I read it earlier and didn't see anything about a recipe either... I didn't even think humans were writing anything besides scratching drawings on rock at that point in history anyway.

Edit: As for these four "ingredients" in a vessel, yet they could tell what they were ingredients in a fermented beverage? I can't even tell if there's pumpkin in a beer if it doesn't have nutmeg and other spices associated with pumpkin pie (just an example)... so I dunno... either way, I'm pretty sure they're just extrapolating some "evidence". And heck that makes a cool story to sell a beer beverage right?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
The point is that they found a recipe for beer that dates back 9,000 years, proving beer was brewed at least that long ago.

TB
They didn't find any writing stating a recipe. They tested clay jars and detected what was stored in them. Not really an actual 'recipe' per say.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
They didn't find any writing stating a recipe. They tested clay jars and detected what was stored in them. Not really an actual 'recipe' per say.
I didn't say it was written. Doesn't change anything either way now, does it? Remnants of an ancient beer was found and dated.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to say beer is older than wine; perhaps fermented beverages of multiple varieties go back further in time than we initially had thought.

Cheers,
TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Since yeast fungus goes back farther then fruit itself on the evolution scale, I would say fruit has been fermenting since it ever existed but that doesn't make the detectable substances in the pores of a storage vessel a recipe.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Since yeast fungus goes back farther then fruit itself on the evolution scale, I would say fruit has been fermenting since it ever existed but that doesn't make the detectable substances in the pores of a storage vessel a recipe.
You're focusing too much on the semantics of "recipe." They have a list of ingredients that strongly suggests a man made beer.

Maybe you can write the author and paleontologists a letter illustrating their errors. Just because they don't have an actual written recipe, doesn't mean it wasn't a beer.

Or maybe we could tip a glass of our favorite beverage and enjoy them like we know how.

TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Quick Reply