Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Dry Ice: a possibilty for filling head space?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessus View Post
http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/...rature-of-must an article I found.

I'm going to do a test run of dry ice today. I think the biggest hazard is not controlling the gas escape and causing a Carboy bomb.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Nessus, that's great that you found this article! Note how the wizzard mainly keeps the pellets out of contact with the wine. I hope this works out for your situation, and don't forget the airlock to keep that CO2 in!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Instead of adding co2 from time to time, it's more common to just rack to the appropriate sized vessel, or to top up appropriately.
Yep, Make more wine, or get a second, smaller, fermentor. When I read the thread title I was thinking of ways to hook up a cooler (maybe my mash-tun, it already has a hose adaptor) with a tee fitting.

One thing - I would worry about the expansion of CO2 into your living space. It isn't poisonous, but you could suffocate.

My wife won't let me buy dry ice.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
One thing - I would worry about the expansion of CO2 into your living space. It isn't poisonous, but you could suffocate.

My wife won't let me buy dry ice.
Suffocate from dry ice cubes!? You could keep a cooler full of dry ice in your living room and be just fine.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
nessus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took a pie pan and shaped it so the outer edge was slightly lower than the center. I cut a hole in the center that was slightly smaller than the Carboy hole. I sanitized with bleach and then shaved about an inch of c02 into small slivers and moved them to the edge of the pan. I added some distilled water that I had heated( just enough to speed up the sublimation, no water got into the Carboy. I then put foil over the top to stop gas from escaping from the top and it was shooting out of the bottom. Then, I just waited for it to do its magic.

I am still relatively new to the whole home brewing world, so please pardon the silly questions.

I had always been told to bulk age everything, and not to divide a stock into other containers unless I was bottling. Wouldn't the separation cause changes between each container?

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Glad the dry ice worked out for you. It's cool to see the gas flow into the carboy and settle on top of the beer.

I usually bulk age. On many occasions, like when I have needed one of my large fermenters for the next large batch, I will split a batch into 2 smaller carboys. As long as they are kept in similar conditions, fermentation is done, and head space is not an issue (problem already solved), there shouldnt really be any difference between the splits.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessus View Post
I took a pie pan and shaped it so the outer edge was slightly lower than the center. I cut a hole in the center that was slightly smaller than the Carboy hole. I sanitized with bleach and then shaved about an inch of c02 into small slivers and moved them to the edge of the pan. I added some distilled water that I had heated( just enough to speed up the sublimation, no water got into the Carboy. I then put foil over the top to stop gas from escaping from the top and it was shooting out of the bottom. Then, I just waited for it to do its magic.

I am still relatively new to the whole home brewing world, so please pardon the silly questions.

I had always been told to bulk age everything, and not to divide a stock into other containers unless I was bottling. Wouldn't the separation cause changes between each container?

Thanks for all the advice!
That must haved looked SO cool.

Both bulk aging and bottle aging have advantages. The smaller the container or the more oxygen the wine is exposed to, the faster it will age. Caution though! Exposure to too much oxygen can cause infection or staling. If you bulk age your wine is more temp stable, and far easier to make adjustments to, but all your eggs are in one basket.

Quick Reply