The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Drinking half brewed wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Statigar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drinking half brewed wine?

I'm making some watermelon wine. It's been brewing for about 8 days, the bubbling slowed to almost nothing yesterday, so i was gonna move it into a 5 gallon glass jug, but I've got an extra gallon that won't fit. Is it safe to drink it? i didn't use anything unusual in the brewing, just campden.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd leave it where it is for another while, just to be sure it's done and to help it clear abit... Most wines take longer than beers to ferment and I've heard racking too early can cause stuck fermentations...

Never made watermelon wine before though...

Old 05-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Statigar
Recipes 

Default thx

thx, but is it toxic? can i drink it when i move it?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

No, of course it's not toxic!!!! It'll be a little yeasty, but sure, you can drink it. What I would do though, is put it in a pitcher and stick it in the fridge, so that most of the yeast and stuff will fall to the bottom, and you can pour it without all that extra stuff.

Now, I wouldn't recommend drinking it yet- it'll be much better later on! You can use a sanitized glass jug (Carlo Rossi wine comes in the perfect size!) and buy a #6 stopper and an airlock and let it finish up. But it sounds like you're bent on drinking it now, so bottoms up!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Federweisser (feather white) is normally made from grapes and I don't think Zwiebelkuchen (onion pie) goes with watermelon, but drinking wine that is still fermenting is part of the harvest celebration in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic. It's even sold in lightly sealed bottles, because it continues to ferment & would probably explode if corked.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 05-20-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Vatechtigger
Recipes 

put extra gallon in a 1 gallon jug or even a soda bottle with its own airlock. That way when you rack again you have something to top off with.

Or just drink it. Its not going to hurt........

Quick Reply