Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Done with Wine
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 591
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Done with Wine

I have been making wine for about 5 years now. Never have I had a batch taste as good as even a $10 bottle of store bought wine. Not sure if it is the concentrated juice, oak chips instead of barrels or what, but they are all just mediocre. I use the winart high end kits with 4 gallons of juice or the crushendo series. While I like the money savings, I would prefer better wine. I just opened a bottle that I bottled about a year ago thinking if I let it age longer it will be better. But it was not, still just mediocre. So I have about 150bottles to finish and that will be it.

I will continue to make Ports however, they turn out spactacular!

__________________
Slipgate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,068
Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
I have been making wine for about 5 years now. Never have I had a batch taste as good as even a $10 bottle of store bought wine. Not sure if it is the concentrated juice, oak chips instead of barrels or what, but they are all just mediocre. I use the winart high end kits with 4 gallons of juice or the crushendo series. While I like the money savings, I would prefer better wine. I just opened a bottle that I bottled about a year ago thinking if I let it age longer it will be better. But it was not, still just mediocre. So I have about 150bottles to finish and that will be it.

I will continue to make Ports however, they turn out spactacular!
Yes, I feel exactly like you. I've done the expensive kits too, but it still comes out like homemade wine. SWMBO suggested i give up on the kits and just buy our wine, and i agree. I still make cider. Beer on the otherhand is a completely different story.
__________________
sudbuster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

I did the Spagnols Malbec and Syrah- Appellation: Mendoza, Argentina. Red Wine kit. It's only six months or so and the wine is excellent. I won't drink the bulk of it for another 6-12 months. I am very pleased with the results from a rather simple process.

__________________
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 591
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Yes, I feel exactly like you. I've done the expensive kits too, but it still comes out like homemade wine. SWMBO suggested i give up on the kits and just buy our wine, and i agree. I still make cider. Beer on the otherhand is a completely different story.
+1 on the beer. My beer is the best I ever had. Funny how homebrew beer is better that anything available commercially but homemade wine is crap.

Maybe it is the kits. I like the Spagnols Orange Chocolate Port. Maybe I will try their wine. I have only ever made the Wineart kits.

A friend of mine says when he used to make wine, they'd go to the vineyard and buy enough grapejuice for an entire barrel. They barrel it, put nothing extra in it, and let it ferment naturally. Said the wine was great and cost less than 1 6 gallon kit.
__________________
Slipgate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coraopolis, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
Posts: 926
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I am sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your wines. Some of the kits you mention (manufacturers) are good quality kits and they should have given reasonable if not outstanding results. There are Many things about the process of making wine that effect the final results.

I have been making wine for several years and it has not been a hit and miss type of thing for me thus far (knock on wood). I take extreme care in sanitation, preparation, testing and adjusting to get my wines right (Acid, pH, SO2 and such) sometimes adjusting levels up or down to get it right. It can be tedious at times, but the end results are well worth the time. Oaking is something you must take time with and sampling the wine periodically is the only way of getting the right effect.

I have been fortunate to have received 5 medals for wine I have entered in competitions in Sonomoa, CA and Wisconsin and friends and family that have sampled my wine think it is very good quality (they may be prejudiced). I have had several batches that I am not pleased with, but blending these wines has helped to improve the overall quality.

Sorry to hear you are giving it up. Good luck.

Salute!

__________________
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale
bmckee56 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 591
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
I am sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your wines. Some of the kits you mention (manufacturers) are good quality kits and they should have given reasonable if not outstanding results. There are Many things about the process of making wine that effect the final results.

I have been making wine for several years and it has not been a hit and miss type of thing for me thus far (knock on wood). I take extreme care in sanitation, preparation, testing and adjusting to get my wines right (Acid, pH, SO2 and such) sometimes adjusting levels up or down to get it right. It can be tedious at times, but the end results are well worth the time. Oaking is something you must take time with and sampling the wine periodically is the only way of getting the right effect.

I have been fortunate to have received 5 medals for wine I have entered in competitions in Sonomoa, CA and Wisconsin and friends and family that have sampled my wine think it is very good quality (they may be prejudiced). I have had several batches that I am not pleased with, but blending these wines has helped to improve the overall quality.

Sorry to hear you are giving it up. Good luck.

Salute!
The wine I make is not hit or miss, it is all the same, all mediocre. Drinkable, but nothing special. Could I send you a bottle to try and see what you think? If so, after you try it, if it is not as good as it could be, I'd love to have a bottle of your wine as a comparison. I generally follow the kit instructions to the letter. PM me if interested. I currently have a Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc ready to drink (almost a year in the bottle).
__________________
Slipgate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coraopolis, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
Posts: 926
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
The wine I make is not hit or miss, it is all the same, all mediocre. Drinkable, but nothing special. Could I send you a bottle to try and see what you think? If so, after you try it, if it is not as good as it could be, I'd love to have a bottle of your wine as a comparison. I generally follow the kit instructions to the letter. PM me if interested. I currently have a Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc ready to drink (almost a year in the bottle).
I do that regularly with another Forum Group, so I have no problem swapping a bottle or 2. I have Zinfandel, Amarone, Gewurtztraminer-Riesling, Chianti, Italian Sangiovese, Australian Shiraz, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Apple, Spiced Apple, Strawberry, Blackberry, Chocolate Raspberry Port, White Chocolate Port, Chocolate- Orange Port and several other wines which I am sure I missed.

Send me your personal info via a PM, I will forward one of your choice to you and forward my personal info to you.

Salute!
__________________
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale
bmckee56 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,664
Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Default

You might consider blending them. Many wines sold as varietals are blends with 20-30% different grapes. Below a certain limit, a winery doesn't have to admit it's a blend, but I think the best wines are blends.

__________________
david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone made wine from Midwest's frozen wine grape musts? gingerdawg Wine Making Forum 4 08-29-2011 02:03 AM
Plum Wine: Ring of white growth in carboy above wine etisdale Wine Making Forum 6 10-03-2009 07:20 PM
Topping off Wine makes Watery Wine? kinkothecarp Wine Making Forum 5 08-24-2009 12:40 PM
So i have my first wine on the last stage. when will it begin to smelling like wine? Tonypr24 Wine Making Forum 3 01-17-2009 09:29 AM
Wine Maker Online - Manage Your Batches Of Wine! richardn Wine Making Forum 0 08-28-2005 02:16 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS