Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > D'oh! Topped up before taking SG reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Hedley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default D'oh! Topped up before taking SG reading

Hi brewers,

I have just done my first racking of this year's elderflower, and strawberry, wines.

Foolishly, I did not take a second SG reading (I took an initial one at the start of the process a month ago).

I topped each demijohn up with roughly 1 pint / 20 oz / 600ml of water. Of course, this means that if I took an SG reading now it would read lower (closer to 0) than if I had taken it without topping up (right?).

I am wondering if there is a piece of maths that I might apply to the next SG reading I take, which will likely be in about a month, at second racking (this time before topping up!).

Any help much appreciated.

Ross

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That little bit of water isn't going to hurt your reading much, besides, it truly has the water in it, so your reading is accurate.

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply