Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > DIY Fruit Press

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default DIY Fruit Press

Looking for some DIY plans for a fruit mill, and a fruit press.

I would like to use apples as an example. One machine to chunk them up, and one machine to press the living crap out of them. But not to split the seeds.

Any info will help

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Check out Ebay!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You might find this info i posted on an old thread helpful. Although it's for apples if you get the idea you can probably modify it for fruit as well..or you could do like I did when I was gathering this info originally....you could google "Diy Fruit Press" like I originally googles "diy cider press"

Make a cider press and press the sediment....heck for small batches you could even use a french press coffee pot (like Chris Colby has mentioned in BYO for pressing hops)

How to Build a Cider Press

You can also make one out of an old Maytag washer evidently. (this article is awesome, especially if you are going to consistantly be doing large batches...)

THE MAYTAG CIDER PRESS

Here's another design....ReadyMade: CIDER PRESS

I can't show you, you have to be a Craft Subscriber to view the online edition, but they recommend a 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, for those of you who don't have a free juicer...
like this...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the easiest presses to make use boards and "cheeses" in a frame. This video is a good demonstration of how a cider press works, they are easy to make if you scale everything down

This page shows one version home made, but you can use timber instead of steel for a much cheaper version. An ordinary car jack can give a few tons of pressure.
Jeff Donaghue's Cider Press
Another homemade press
http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index....de_Cider_Press
Basket presses are ok for apples but often quite expensive.

For grinding I just use a garden mulcher, most people have one lying around for making mulch. I got that idea off the "river cottage" program from UK which had a good segment on cider making.

Last edited by gregbathurst; 06-25-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great Vid Greg! I think you are right about going cheese style with a press. I do have a small cheese press, and its a very basic and easy machine to use.

Just trying to think of other things that need to be pressed, and seeing how they do it in their industry.... like ... paper?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdan View Post
Great Vid Greg! I think you are right about going cheese style with a press. I do have a small cheese press, and its a very basic and easy machine to use.

Just trying to think of other things that need to be pressed, and seeing how they do it in their industry.... like ... paper?
Having made artisian paper I can tell you that it is not pressed....

Paper slurry (basically paper, vegetable and cotton fibers soaked in water) sits in a bath, then a frame with a screen is dunked into the bath, and lifted upward. The fibers are trapped on the screen and the water drains out...the paper is left to dry on the screen then pressed afterwards...my understanding is that that part of the process is similar in the commercial paper mills....only on a larger scale....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just a thought... couldn't the liquid be extracted with extreme centrifugal force? Like how honey is extracted from honey combs?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdan View Post
Just a thought... couldn't the liquid be extracted with extreme centrifugal force? Like how honey is extracted from honey combs?
Yeah...I THINK that's the reasoning behind the maytag cider press I link to you in my original post....

Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wine presses use a bladder and air pressure, with the bladder on the inside of a cylinder.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Right Revvy, but I can't really gather much practical data from that article.

Maybe I can make a contraption that would fit into a log splitter. So I can rent a log splitter to quickly press fruit.

Quick Reply