Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing wine trick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburns View Post
I agree, I was just concerned it could reach a vacuum level that would cause the alcohol to boil
I watched a vid on youtube where a guy removed pressure from a container with just water. It boiled at room temp at about 27 mm Hg on his gauge. I was wondering what pressure alcohol would boil at room temp so I asked one of those answer sites. The response I got was:
At 68F, ethanol will boil at 44 mm Hg. Ethanol has a higher vapor pressure than water so at the same temperature it will boil at a higher pressure.

Don't want to test his response for accuracy though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
MA-Honey
Recipes 

I wouldn't worry about it. The carbon dioxide will come out of solution well before the alcohol will. When the carbon dioxide is done coming out of solution there should be a gap in pressure before anything else comes out so you turn it off then.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was concerned about this too at first, then I used a few engineering calculators and found that the alcohol would only start to boil at 100F, at a pressure of -25 PSI. Those mityvac pumps can get to 25 PSI, MAX. So if you're at less than 100F, you will not have anything to worry about.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use one of those pumps. I usually wine whip it first to get the bulk co2 out and then attach the pump. I pump it every few minutes for the first couple of hours then let it sit and pump it whenever I am by the wine. It takes a day or two but is hardly physically taxing or annoying. Much better than using the whip the whole way through. If my winemaking takes off like my beer making, I will get a mitivac, but until then, this works.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
MA-Honey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth
Anybody done this? Seems like it might actually work.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZjL80...%3DZjL80hXkHdI

I know there's a way to embed the video, but I'm technologically incompetent.

So I have had the pump for a week and the rubber gasket blew out. I bought another one only because my local brew/wine supply store just started carrying them. I learned a little trick that makes them very good and would make an electric vacuum pump awesome. Pick up some stainless steel screws from your local hardware store or fasten all, drop them in and then do it. It gives you lots of nuclear ion sites and speeds up the process. You get more bubbles at lower pressures. I am going to try sanitizing the end of my shop vac and seeing if that will work. I will post something on how that works later this week.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA-Honey View Post
So I have had the pump for a week and the rubber gasket blew out. I bought another one only because my local brew/wine supply store just started carrying them. I learned a little trick that makes them very good and would make an electric vacuum pump awesome. Pick up some stainless steel screws from your local hardware store or fasten all, drop them in and then do it. It gives you lots of nuclear ion sites and speeds up the process. You get more bubbles at lower pressures. I am going to try sanitizing the end of my shop vac and seeing if that will work. I will post something on how that works later this week.
I'm not going to pretend to understand how screws make your wine bubbly... Though bubbly wine often makes me screwy

Any word on the shop vac?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
I'm not going to pretend to understand how screws make your wine bubbly... Though bubbly wine often makes me screwy

They create a nucleation site that the bubbles can form on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleation

Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
MA-Honey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth

Shop vac seemed to work. The wine I had was already greatly degassed so it wasn't easy to tell but bubbles were coming out really well. I didn't like holding the vacuum hose so I will have to figure a set up to where it can just run. I have another batch of wine that I will be degassing in about 2 weeks so I can say more then.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
johnsonbrew
Recipes 

Can I use a mityvac to degass my wine in a better bottle carboy? I am afraid the pressure will cause the bottle to collapse, is this a serious concern? I bought a second better bottle for cost reasons and am now thinking I should have stuck with glass for the secondary fermentation and degassing of the wine before bottling.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrew View Post
can i use a mityvac to degass my wine in a better bottle carboy? I am afraid the pressure will cause the bottle to collapse, is this a serious concern? I bought a second better bottle for cost reasons and am now thinking i should have stuck with glass for the secondary fermentation and degassing of the wine before bottling.
do not depressurize a better bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Quick Reply