Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
DutchK9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Degassing Wine?

Could somebody please explain to me the process of degassing wine?
When is it done? Why is it done?
And is hooking a paddle to a drill the best way to do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The process is simple. Agitate the wine enough to get all the co2 out. Some of what you've seen bubbling up is still stuck in solution. You need to get it out of there, but you gotta be careful not to get air in. They make a whip for degasing and it seems to work pretty great for $14.
I have used many things, the paddle should work very well...unless you have a carboy and can't get it through the neck of the bottle.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So do you do it after primary fermentation is over and prior to bottling it in the secondary?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Degassing can be done any time after secondary fermentation is complete and prior to bottling. If using a whip to agitate the wine it's probably best to do it at the end of secondary fermentation when adding k-meta and sorbate. An electric drill mounted whip works well and is much, much easier than stirring with a long handled spoon, but that works too. I've been using a brake line bleeder that also works very well.

FYI - you can also degass a bottled wine prior to serving with a Vacu Vin wine Saver.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Degassing can be done any time after secondary fermentation is complete and prior to bottling. If using a whip to agitate the wine it's probably best to do it at the end of secondary fermentation when adding k-meta and sorbate. An electric drill mounted whip works well and is much, much easier than stirring with a long handled spoon, but that works too. I've been using a brake line bleeder that also works very well.

FYI - you can also degass a bottled wine prior to serving with a Vacu Vin wine Saver.

So let me see if I understand correctly. When secondary fermentation is complete and just prior to bottling, I put my whip (or whatever method) in the wine and agitate the wine which causes bubbles. Do I continue to do this till there are no more bubbles, or do I let the must sit for a few more days and then do it again over and over till I never get bubbles. The directions on my wine kit don't say anything about degassing, so I am a bit confused. I assume it is for pulling oxygen out of the must.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Níl_fhios_agam
Recipes 

Whats the suggestion for degassing if using a Carboy? I willi be degassing for the first time soon but I have a Carboy and I wouldn't be able to get much more than a small Syphon tube in there to stir. Should I rack to a bucket and stir it up there then back to a Carbouy?

Help!?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchK9 View Post
So let me see if I understand correctly. When secondary fermentation is complete and just prior to bottling, I put my whip (or whatever method) in the wine and agitate the wine which causes bubbles. Do I continue to do this till there are no more bubbles, or do I let the must sit for a few more days and then do it again over and over till I never get bubbles. The directions on my wine kit don't say anything about degassing, so I am a bit confused. I assume it is for pulling oxygen out of the must.
The purpose of degassing is to pull out CO2. With wine kits I allow the fermentation to finish completely - down to .996 or so. When I used a drill mounted whip I degassed when I added the potassium metabilsulfite and sorbate. I degassed for about five minutes straight. Then I added the clarifier and degassed for another five minutes. You'll never see an end to the bubbles so 10 minutes is about good enough. However, after that, I always bulk age for at least 5-6 months and that will allow even more C)2 to escape.

Quote:
Should I rack to a bucket and stir it up there then back to a Carbouy?
That's what I do and it works well. If you attempt to degass in the carboy the wine will foam up and you'll be forever waiting for the foam to settle and then stirring again.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #8
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The purpose of degassing is to pull out CO2. With wine kits I allow the fermentation to finish completely - down to .996 or so. When I used a drill mounted whip I degassed when I added the potassium metabilsulfite and sorbate. I degassed for about five minutes straight. Then I added the clarifier and degassed for another five minutes. You'll never see an end to the bubbles so 10 minutes is about good enough. However, after that, I always bulk age for at least 5-6 months and that will allow even more C)2 to escape.

That's what I do and it works well. If you attempt to degass in the carboy the wine will foam up and you'll be forever waiting for the foam to settle and then stirring again.
Okay. Thanks again!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Don't forget that you only degas if necessary. For kit wines, generally yes. For other wines, not necessary and in fact can damage the wine due to the aeration. So, follow the directions in you kit concerning degassing.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
jameswardpeterson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Degassing can be done any time after secondary fermentation is complete and prior to bottling. If using a whip to agitate the wine it's probably best to do it at the end of secondary fermentation when adding k-meta and sorbate. An electric drill mounted whip works well and is much, much easier than stirring with a long handled spoon, but that works too. I've been using a brake line bleeder that also works very well.[/URL].
Im guessing all you do with that is pop it onto the stopper and pump away?
That seems like a great way to degas since your not even disturbing the wine in the first place, just applying pressure to remove the CO2.

very smart sir.
on deck: future brews suspended for the moment :(...

Quick Reply