Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing Wine?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
DutchK9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 369
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Degassing Wine?

Could somebody please explain to me the process of degassing wine?
When is it done? Why is it done?
And is hooking a paddle to a drill the best way to do it?

__________________
DutchK9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,940
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

The process is simple. Agitate the wine enough to get all the co2 out. Some of what you've seen bubbling up is still stuck in solution. You need to get it out of there, but you gotta be careful not to get air in. They make a whip for degasing and it seems to work pretty great for $14.
I have used many things, the paddle should work very well...unless you have a carboy and can't get it through the neck of the bottle.

__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
DutchK9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 369
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

So do you do it after primary fermentation is over and prior to bottling it in the secondary?

__________________
DutchK9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Degassing can be done any time after secondary fermentation is complete and prior to bottling. If using a whip to agitate the wine it's probably best to do it at the end of secondary fermentation when adding k-meta and sorbate. An electric drill mounted whip works well and is much, much easier than stirring with a long handled spoon, but that works too. I've been using a brake line bleeder that also works very well.

FYI - you can also degass a bottled wine prior to serving with a Vacu Vin wine Saver.

__________________
summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
DutchK9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 369
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Degassing can be done any time after secondary fermentation is complete and prior to bottling. If using a whip to agitate the wine it's probably best to do it at the end of secondary fermentation when adding k-meta and sorbate. An electric drill mounted whip works well and is much, much easier than stirring with a long handled spoon, but that works too. I've been using a brake line bleeder that also works very well.

FYI - you can also degass a bottled wine prior to serving with a Vacu Vin wine Saver.

So let me see if I understand correctly. When secondary fermentation is complete and just prior to bottling, I put my whip (or whatever method) in the wine and agitate the wine which causes bubbles. Do I continue to do this till there are no more bubbles, or do I let the must sit for a few more days and then do it again over and over till I never get bubbles. The directions on my wine kit don't say anything about degassing, so I am a bit confused. I assume it is for pulling oxygen out of the must.
__________________
DutchK9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Níl_fhios_agam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29
Default

Whats the suggestion for degassing if using a Carboy? I willi be degassing for the first time soon but I have a Carboy and I wouldn't be able to get much more than a small Syphon tube in there to stir. Should I rack to a bucket and stir it up there then back to a Carbouy?

Help!?

__________________
Níl_fhios_agam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchK9 View Post
So let me see if I understand correctly. When secondary fermentation is complete and just prior to bottling, I put my whip (or whatever method) in the wine and agitate the wine which causes bubbles. Do I continue to do this till there are no more bubbles, or do I let the must sit for a few more days and then do it again over and over till I never get bubbles. The directions on my wine kit don't say anything about degassing, so I am a bit confused. I assume it is for pulling oxygen out of the must.
The purpose of degassing is to pull out CO2. With wine kits I allow the fermentation to finish completely - down to .996 or so. When I used a drill mounted whip I degassed when I added the potassium metabilsulfite and sorbate. I degassed for about five minutes straight. Then I added the clarifier and degassed for another five minutes. You'll never see an end to the bubbles so 10 minutes is about good enough. However, after that, I always bulk age for at least 5-6 months and that will allow even more C)2 to escape.


Quote:
Should I rack to a bucket and stir it up there then back to a Carbouy?
That's what I do and it works well. If you attempt to degass in the carboy the wine will foam up and you'll be forever waiting for the foam to settle and then stirring again.
__________________
summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #8
DutchK9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 369
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
The purpose of degassing is to pull out CO2. With wine kits I allow the fermentation to finish completely - down to .996 or so. When I used a drill mounted whip I degassed when I added the potassium metabilsulfite and sorbate. I degassed for about five minutes straight. Then I added the clarifier and degassed for another five minutes. You'll never see an end to the bubbles so 10 minutes is about good enough. However, after that, I always bulk age for at least 5-6 months and that will allow even more C)2 to escape.




That's what I do and it works well. If you attempt to degass in the carboy the wine will foam up and you'll be forever waiting for the foam to settle and then stirring again.
Okay. Thanks again!
__________________
DutchK9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,825
Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Default

Don't forget that you only degas if necessary. For kit wines, generally yes. For other wines, not necessary and in fact can damage the wine due to the aeration. So, follow the directions in you kit concerning degassing.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
jameswardpeterson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Falls Church VA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Degassing can be done any time after secondary fermentation is complete and prior to bottling. If using a whip to agitate the wine it's probably best to do it at the end of secondary fermentation when adding k-meta and sorbate. An electric drill mounted whip works well and is much, much easier than stirring with a long handled spoon, but that works too. I've been using a brake line bleeder that also works very well.[/URL].
Im guessing all you do with that is pop it onto the stopper and pump away?
That seems like a great way to degas since your not even disturbing the wine in the first place, just applying pressure to remove the CO2.

very smart sir.
__________________
Primary: blueberry apple cider
Secondary: panty dropper cranberry apple cider
bottled: I should probably get some of those...
on deck: future brews suspended for the moment :(...
jameswardpeterson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Degassing wine Dark_Ale Wine Making Forum 6 01-27-2010 11:13 PM
Wine Degassing Wild Duk Wine Making Forum 16 01-16-2009 06:06 AM
Degassing wine technique arcsum68 Wine Making Forum 11 09-02-2008 11:36 PM
More on degassing skinfiddler Wine Making Forum 4 03-26-2008 06:02 AM
Degassing GabrielKnight Wine Making Forum 1 12-17-2007 10:33 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS