Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing my wine - Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
petercltnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Degassing my wine - Newbie

Hey, All!

I've just bought a winemaking kit (Selection Series Cabernet Savignon), and I have a question regarding de-gassing. I've just completed the step 2 of my instructions (see below), and there's no mention of de-gassing the carboy. However, I went on Northern Brewer's website and they suggest de-gassing the carboy at this step. Which should I follow?

After 5-7 days draw a sample of the juice and use your hydrometer and test jar to check the specific gravity. It should be 1.010 or less. You must rack (transfer) the wine into a 23 liter (6 US gallon) carboy at this time.
NOTE: The lower the fermenting temperature, the longer it will take to reach this stage. If your gravity is not at or below this level, wait, testing the gravity each day, until it is.
Clean and sanitise siphon rod and hose, hydrometer and test jar, wine thief, 23 liter (6 US gallon) carboy, bung and airlock. Rinse well.

1. Place the primary fermenter up at least 1 metre (3 feet) onto a sturdy table.
2. Carefully siphon wine into a clean, sanitised 23 litre (6 US gallon) carboy. Leave the thickest sediment behind, but make sure you transfer most of the liquid. This will leave a space at the top of the carboy of approximately one liter (one US quart) in volume. Do not top up at this stage. This space is required for stirring and additions during stabilizing (Step 3).
3. Attach airlock and bung to carboy. Remember to fill airlock halfway with water.
4. Leave carboy in your fermentation area at the temperature of 22°-24°C (72°-75°F) for 10 days.
You may not see further fermentation activity in the carboy. This is not a cause for worry. In 10 days you can proceed to the next step.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
IPHey
Recipes 

I've always followed the directions with the kit and it's turned out great.

I believe they have you degas during step 3.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercltnc
Hey, All!

I've just bought a winemaking kit (Selection Series Cabernet Savignon), and I have a question regarding de-gassing. I've just completed the step 2 of my instructions (see below), and there's no mention of de-gassing the carboy. However, I went on Northern Brewer's website and they suggest de-gassing the carboy at this step. Which should I follow?
Your wine is still fermenting. Degassing now is pointless.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 130

That's a nice wine, by the way.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
petercltnc
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks all!

It sounds like I'm doing the right thing by waiting to degas on step 3.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Quick Reply