New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing...Foam Forever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
Gregules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Degassing...Foam Forever

Newbie, degassing with drill attachment for the first time. I have been stirring for about an hour now. It foams up and I let it disperse. Restir and get more foam. Is there a difference between foam and CO2 bubbles? Do I just keep going until I have no bubbles or foam at all? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Apparently you're making a wine kit?

Degassing is the only "bad" part of kit wine making. Trust me, you want to degass as much as possible so that you don't have problems later.

One way to see if you've degassed about enough is to take a small wine bottle and sanitize it well. Using a wine thief or turkey baster (sanitized), take wine from the carboy and gently put it in the wine bottle. When it's filled to about where you'd fill a wine bottle, put a sanitized finger over the opening and give it a shake. Go to the sink and remove your finger. If it's foamy, or bubbly, you're not done degassing. Go back and gently pour the wine back into the carboy and start up the drill again. It's tedious (but much worse during it by hand- trust me!!!!) but important.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
Gregules
Recipes 

It is a kit and thank you very much for the tip.

Quick Reply