Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
acafro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Woolwich, Maine
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Degassing

Has anyone used some kind of mechanical stirer that goes on say a drill for degassing?

How well do they work? And is it worth it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

__________________
acafro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
vNmd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , Maryland
Posts: 481
Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I do. I got the metal one first . The screw / nut holding the flaps onto the rod was a bit wide making it hard to get in and out of the glass carboy (scratched the inside of the neck). I got an all plastic one that gets in and out a lot easier. Once they are in there it does work depending on what you are making. I have noticed the whites have a lot of gas and over flow the carboy sometimes. Not sure if it was just the ones I made or if whites hold more gas. There will still be gas in the liquid even after several minutes of stirring. Couldn't imagine using a spoon stir by hand for that.

__________________
vNmd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
damdaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 508
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/degassing-please-help-252007/
__________________
damdaman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,682
Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Default

I use the wine whip pictured above on my drill. It works well, but start slow as a wine volcano will happen really quick in a very gassy wine.

I normally only degas kit wines, and not regular wines.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
acafro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Woolwich, Maine
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Thanks guys, probably going to invest in a degasser... I don't see myself branching outside of kit wine for a while... though you never know...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

__________________
acafro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
acafro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Woolwich, Maine
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Also, anyone use buckets rather than carboys for wine?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

__________________
acafro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
pumpkinman2012
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pumpkinman2012's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , New York
Posts: 604
Liked 64 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default

You might be interested in the All in one wine pump, it is a vacuum pump that degasses while it racks (how cool is that), you can not only rack (saves your back from lifting carboys), degass, bottle and filter with it, but they even sell a beer bottling attachment!
I've used this vacuum pump so much since I first bought it, I've put it through hell..lol..it's made my wine making and beer brewing much easier!
And no, I don't work for the company, I just really believe in it!
Check it out at www.allinonewinepump.com you won't regret it.

__________________
pumpkinman2012 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
acafro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Woolwich, Maine
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinman2012 View Post
You might be interested in the All in one wine pump, it is a vacuum pump that degasses while it racks (how cool is that), you can not only rack (saves your back from lifting carboys), degass, bottle and filter with it, but they even sell a beer bottling attachment!
I've used this vacuum pump so much since I first bought it, I've put it through hell..lol..it's made my wine making and beer brewing much easier!
And no, I don't work for the company, I just really believe in it!
Check it out at www.allinonewinepump.com you won't regret it.
How many times do you end up going back and forth? To degas? And you also filter and rack your beer with it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app
__________________
acafro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,682
Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acafro View Post
How many times do you end up going back and forth? To degas? And you also filter and rack your beer with it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app
Most kits are racked only once or twice. I don't filter my wine or beer, but I someday will get a pump for racking just to save my poor aching back.

You can use buckets for primary, but after that (about day 5-7), you need an appropriately sized carboy. For kits, that tends to be a 6 gallon carboy. You can use a plastic carboy (like a Better Bottle) if you want, but the shape of the carboy is important for reducing headspace so a bucket is not acceptable for secondary.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
acafro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Woolwich, Maine
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Most kits are racked only once or twice. I don't filter my wine or beer, but I someday will get a pump for racking just to save my poor aching back.

You can use buckets for primary, but after that (about day 5-7), you need an appropriately sized carboy. For kits, that tends to be a 6 gallon carboy. You can use a plastic carboy (like a Better Bottle) if you want, but the shape of the carboy is important for reducing headspace so a bucket is not acceptable for secondary.
Thanks for the info... I racked the kit wine in a bucket for secondary, I racked it yesterday so I will be moving it to a carboy as soon as I get home tonight....


Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app
__________________
acafro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Degassing pfowl01 Mead Forum 8 10-13-2013 03:22 PM
Degassing MadMarty911 Mead Forum 3 09-28-2012 12:17 AM
Degassing tellish33 Wine Making Forum 2 01-09-2012 11:52 AM
Degassing RobWalker Wine Making Forum 6 01-08-2011 01:06 AM
Degassing _ Yes or no lynne535 Wine Making Forum 7 07-25-2009 04:35 AM