Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Define wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #21
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Fermented drinks made from fruits and vegetables, but not grain, are called wine with a modifier (strawberry wine, beet wine, etc.).

I do think, from a historical standpoint (and linguistic standpoint) the word "wine" means "fermented alcoholic grape beverage", and so if we are going to be persnickity about language, we should at least be correct in our persnickitiness.

I remembered there was something to your connection of moonshine and "hooch", and you are right, sort of.

"hooch" is a derivative of "Hoochinoo", which is the name of both a former Alaskan Aboriginal tribe of Admirality Island and the name of the distilled liquor they made and sold to soldiers in the area. (from OED)

Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #22
slimbiggins
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I say wine is fermented fruit without heating anything. You need heat to make beer or liquor. Quality of wine is a different subject. Mad dog 20/20 is not from napa valley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #23
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbiggins View Post
I say wine is fermented fruit without heating anything. You need heat to make beer or liquor. Quality of wine is a different subject. Mad dog 20/20 is not from napa valley
ciders are made without heat. Oh, and every wine recipe in the index calls for you to heat up water to melt sugar to boost ABV.

I know... I'm being picky; but that is kind of what this thread seems to be about.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbiggins View Post
Oh, then that blows my dandelion wine recipe and banana wine out of "wine" making. Heat extraction is common for some wine styles, although not all of course.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #25
slimbiggins
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Oh, then that blows my dandelion wine recipe and banana wine out of "wine" making. Heat extraction is common for some wine styles, although not all of course.
Roger that on the heat extraction. I learned something new. I just use spring water making wine. I use to boil, but that is such a pain to do

Quick Reply