The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > dandelion wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by guscampag View Post
After about 3 weeks the bubbling has died down some, but still pretty good. I kind of screwed up today. I removed the stopper to add a little more liquid becuase I could see the raisins (still on top) were getting dry on top. Well, I pushed the stopper too far in ( I have had that problem before with this particular carboy, so I should have known better!) Anyway, rubber stopper is in the mix. Is this a problem? Do I need to get it out? Or can I just leave it. For now, I just put another one on.
Please tell me it will be okay!
thanks,

Gus
It's ok! It won't harm the wine. I've done it, too. You can get it out when you rack the wine. It'll be a PITA getting out all those raisins along with the stopper, though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #22
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yoop yoop yahoo!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Now, about racking this wine. It has been in carboy for 2 months. It bubbled away real good for quite a while and has now died down. I see no signs of any of the rasins dropping to the bottom. They are all still floating (all five lbs)on the top. Is it time to rack it and check the sg -- and do I remove the raisins yet or What? the only thing I have done to it was add little water a couple of times when I saw that it was drying out on top.

Thanks,

gus

Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Now, about racking this wine. It has been in carboy for 2 months. It bubbled away real good for quite a while and has now died down. I see no signs of any of the rasins dropping to the bottom. They are all still floating (all five lbs)on the top. Is it time to rack it and check the sg -- and do I remove the raisins yet or What? the only thing I have done to it was add little water a couple of times when I saw that it was drying out on top.

Thanks,

gus
Do you have more than 1/4" of lees on the bottom? If you don't, no need to rack yet. I rack after 60 days (more or less) if I have lees more than 1/4" inch thick or so. You can leave it for quite a long time, as long as you don't have lees forming.

One thing I noticed about dandelion wine is that even after it's seemingly clear, and I bottle it (and I never rush to bottle it, it's usually a year at least), there are some lees later in the bottle. I have no idea where it comes from! So, patience is key here.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default that ole dandelion wine

hello again,

I checked the dandelion wine - been going about 3 months now I think. The raisins are all still floating on top. I do have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of lees on the bottom. I'm thinking it would be a good time to rack this wine. What about the raisins? Do I take them out now or transfer them to the next carboy?

Thanks so much.

gus

Old 08-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
hello again,

I checked the dandelion wine - been going about 3 months now I think. The raisins are all still floating on top. I do have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of lees on the bottom. I'm thinking it would be a good time to rack this wine. What about the raisins? Do I take them out now or transfer them to the next carboy?

Thanks so much.

gus
When you rack, just leave the raisins behind. They won't get sucked up in the racking cane, so you can just rack the clear wine.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 AM   #27
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, Yoop.

gus

Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Question for Yooper

Aha, back to the dandelion wine. Started back in May. Racked once about 6 weeks ago. Checked today. Looks good. No appreciable amount of lees on the bottom. Tastes pretty good, but very sweet. Checked SG = 1.010, which is about the same as it was 6 weeks ago. Does this wine finish sweet or has my fermentation stopped prematurely. Is there anything I can do to dry it up a little? I mean, it's good, but I usually prefer a dryer beverage. I notice your recipe says the FG should be about .996.
Thanks for all your help.

gus

Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Aha, back to the dandelion wine. Started back in May. Racked once about 6 weeks ago. Checked today. Looks good. No appreciable amount of lees on the bottom. Tastes pretty good, but very sweet. Checked SG = 1.010, which is about the same as it was 6 weeks ago. Does this wine finish sweet or has my fermentation stopped prematurely. Is there anything I can do to dry it up a little? I mean, it's good, but I usually prefer a dryer beverage. I notice your recipe says the FG should be about .996.
Thanks for all your help.

gus
Yeah, that's not "normal". What kind of yeast did you use, and what was the OG? Champagne yeast should have taken it to dry.

There are a couple of things you can do- one is to make a little yeast starter with some fresh champagne yeast. Just a bit of the must and some sugar water to get going, and then gradually add more of the must until it's going very well, and add that back into the fermenter. Make sure it's warm enough- in a cool basement the yeast may poop out too early. Since it's clear, I bet most of the yeast have fallen out a bit too soon.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had OG of 1.120 and used Montrachet yeast. It was pretty warm in the basement all summer - maybe too warm?

I'll try to add a starter and see if it will get going again. I have Pasteur Champagne and EC-1118 on hand. Would either be better than the other, in your opinion?

Thanks

Quick Reply