Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Crystal clear wine went cloudy after campden?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
taffy100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Crystal clear wine went cloudy after campden?!

I had a crystal clear batch of apple and feijoa wine that was completely ready for bottling. Last week I added 10 campden tablets, it is a 45litre batch. The wine went cloudy immediately. It is a week on and there is no sign of it clearing. I decided to bottle it today and hope for the best as I wasn't happy with the air space above the wine after racking. Now I'm doubting I've done the right thing?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ttt

Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy100
I had a crystal clear batch of apple and feijoa wine that was completely ready for bottling. Last week I added 10 campden tablets, it is a 45litre batch. The wine went cloudy immediately. It is a week on and there is no sign of it clearing. I decided to bottle it today and hope for the best as I wasn't happy with the air space above the wine after racking. Now I'm doubting I've done the right thing?!
Old batch of tablets? I'd let it sit, see if it clears.

If it isn't sitting with head space for more than a couple of weeks, you are ok. If it's going to sit a while, add some like wine to top up.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
taffy100
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply Novalou. It was a brand new pack of campden, but because I have bottled it I've lost the option for letting it sit unfortunately. Hindsight is a great thing! I can now see that the wine is dropping a fine sediment to the bottom of the the bottles. It tastes good though. So I'm thinking that as long as the wine is consumed within the next six months or so, it should be ok if a little cloudy in the glass?!

I'm new to wine making but am learning some pretty hard lessons with my first few batches!

Do you think that there would be a problem with drinking this wine? Many thanks.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
taffy100
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
ttt
Helpful.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy100
Thanks for the reply Novalou. It was a brand new pack of campden, but because I have bottled it I've lost the option for letting it sit unfortunately. Hindsight is a great thing! I can now see that the wine is dropping a fine sediment to the bottom of the the bottles. It tastes good though. So I'm thinking that as long as the wine is consumed within the next six months or so, it should be ok if a little cloudy in the glass?!

I'm new to wine making but am learning some pretty hard lessons with my first few batches!

Do you think that there would be a problem with drinking this wine? Many thanks.
Nothing wrong with drinking cloudy wine. Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts

I had the same thing with two 5 gal batch's of Skeeter. I racked them last week and added sorbate and c tabs clouded right up. I will wait it out and let it clear again before I rack or bottle it. Mike

Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

Some campden products are well known for adding a fine white particle, this is why I use k-meta powder. Pmus, anytime you stabilize and/or backsweeten it is recommended that you wait about two weeks, rack of any sediment that dropped (dead yeast cells) and then bottle. But your wine need not be rushed to consumption, consider decantinf, etc.

Motto: quel che sara sara

taffy100 Likes This 

Quick Reply