The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Crazy brews - 7 days 7 brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Update...I did not go back out of town, not feeling good so I am hanging at home. I started Wine#6...a coffee wine.

I cold brewed for five days, one cup each of freshly ground Newman's Own Special Dark and. Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut then strained, added a simple syrup made of one cup each granulated and packed light brown sugar, topped up with water until S.G. hit 1.080...wee bit over 2 liters.

There is no way these will be appropriate for tasting on Sunday...though the honeysuckle really is nice, and cucumber-mint is pleasant, the jujube is liquid gold. Coconut Spice makes me slobber. The PB&J is clearing!! 90 days will be interesting.

Now have to come up with #7, just so I can say I pulled it off. Thinking....

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
saramc
Recipes 

Photo time...
Day 6 Coffee wine, three photos of what it looked like this morning. It looked like grounds had accumulated as the cap, but it was a fake out...ran a mini mesh trainer thru the cap and just yeast and coffee, stirred and it settled down to white foam.

Attachment 80289

forumrunner_20121020_123957.png

forumrunner_20121020_123942.png

forumrunner_20121020_123916.png

Old 10-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #53
saramc
Recipes 

Forgot about Day 7..

Fruitcake LemonDropPepper Wine

Used, you got it, the fruit used in fruitcake making that was in my pantry...citron, lemon, cherries plus ten frozen lemon drop peppers. Forgot to wear gloves as I deseeded, and within the hour the fingers on left hand were swollen to twice their size, and still painful and slightly swollen 15 hours later. I have had to take benadryl every six hours, slather in aloe courtesy of my aloe plant, and ice intermittently...will never repeat that incident. Those little lemon drops look so innocent!! All for the love of wine.

forumrunner_20121020_125218.png

Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #54
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

As best I can tell, sara is the only one who is going to manage to pull off the entire series! That is dedication! Props.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #55
saramc
Recipes 

Ok, I am updating! All seven of my wine using EC-1118, with the same OG, are clear now, and just a taste after racking and I suspect they will all be good.
Here is the rundown, in order started.
1. Jujube wine, aka Chinese red dates.
2. Dried honeysuckle flower
3. Peanut Butter and Jelly
4. Cucumber Mint
5. Coconut Spice
6. Coffee
7. Fruitcake Lemon Drop Pepper...new name TuttiFrutti Lemon Drop Pepper

The strangest was the PB&J. It tastes so much like peanut butter that it is insane! There was a bit over 1/4 of the 2L in lees alone, but the wine was a light golden color, no rancid smell, taste was good. So after I racked I obviously had head space so I liquified (melted and dosed with double pectic enzyme) a pint of raspberry jelly and thinned with half a pint of water and then topped up the rest with raspberry juice made from FruitFast concentrate. So, it is back to fermenting as of this morning and will obviously have a bit more kick. I did not bother with updated SG reading after adding fruit, though it was at 0.999 after I removed the sludge.

Here was the original recipe for this 2L creation, of which I am sure the original fruit was lost in ferment, but I really did plan on adding fruit after racking gross lees. On 10/9/12...combine 9 tbsp PB2(roasted pnut flour), 7 tbsp raspberry jam/jelly that has been melted, pectic enzyme per pkg instructions, 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in minimal amt water taken from 1250ml water. Allow to rest a few hours, check SG and add sugar if needed to reach target. Top up with water. Pitch yeast, EC-1118, cover with paper towel for 5 days, then attach airlock or even a balloon.

The jujube wine tastes most outstanding, so fruity. The cucumber mint is well, like a cucumber...thinking of adding some mint syrup I make. The honeysuckle is soothing. The coffee needs age and is getting fortified with a homemade sweet toasted pecan liqueur, maybe. The tutti frutti pepper is hot, hot, hot but I can tell the fruit is there..jury undecided. The coconut spice is just flat out pleasant, and it will be backsweetened and served chilled...though, I am tempted to backsweeten with sucralose vs stevia and add a touch of fermentable and bottle carb this. In fact, some jujube may be sparkling! I feel all of these, minus the coffee wine, could be early birds, but I plan on aging for six months.

So, get yourself seven two or three liters and challenge yourself with what is in your house. Who knows what you will come up with. I never thought all of these would work out, especially the PB&J!
I was expecting to hear myself singing the 'I found a peanut' song throughout the house on any given day.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #56
markowe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Brilliant work :-). Thanks for keeping us updated. Would love to try some of these! This thread inspired me to seriously consider a chocolate chip cookie beer/wine - just got to find the time, and the unwanted cookies :O!

Quick Reply