Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Crab Apple Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
billyboyo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crab Apple Wine

First time home brewing for me - I have a large grape wine, blackberries and elderberries in abundance to make into wine. After some research I've got the process and equipment for these. However a neighbour came out of left field and gave me 25kgs of crab apples the other day. I've read all sorts of contradictory advice on turning these into wine - my question is whether I can use my wine press to get the juice for fermentation (as I would to make wine from grapes) or whether I follow all the advice which describes creating a must from the crushed crabs instead? I've read all kinds of stuff regarding not crushing the pips and removing the stalks etc and just wanted to make sure that if I proceeded with the wine press I wouldn't end up creating a poisonous brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4460 Times on 3246 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboyo View Post
First time home brewing for me - I have a large grape wine, blackberries and elderberries in abundance to make into wine. After some research I've got the process and equipment for these. However a neighbour came out of left field and gave me 25kgs of crab apples the other day. I've read all sorts of contradictory advice on turning these into wine - my question is whether I can use my wine press to get the juice for fermentation (as I would to make wine from grapes) or whether I follow all the advice which describes creating a must from the crushed crabs instead? I've read all kinds of stuff regarding not crushing the pips and removing the stalks etc and just wanted to make sure that if I proceeded with the wine press I wouldn't end up creating a poisonous brew!
Sure, you can use your wine press! You don't want to crush the seeds, but I don't think you will in a wine press anyway.

I have my recipe posted, so you can see how I do it without a press. But.........if I had a press available, I'd sure do it! I used 83 pounds of crabapples last year to make 15 gallons of wine! It would have been much easier to core them, freeze them (so they are nice and mushy- I don't have a crusher, either), and ferment for a few days and then press them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply