Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > A couple beginner questions:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1333 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 705

Default A couple beginner questions:

I made a red wine from a kit several months back and recently thieved some from the carboy where it sits. The wine tastes like there is something missing. I can definitely tast the alcohol but there is flavor lacking and it tastes a little watery. I think I used a little too much water, but not so much that it would make the whole batch watered down.

So my questions are these: Is this a sign of a common error? Maybe the wine is not ready yet? IMPORTANT Can this be fixed, meaning is there anything I can do to give it some flavor and body?

thanks all!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

how many months is "several"? its posable that its still green. if memory serves reds take longer to mature than whites.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4923 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

What kit did you make? Did you top up to near the bung, so there is very little headspace?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1333 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 705

I can't remember the kit I used, but it has been racked a couple times. It has been at least six months since we started it. For the fermentation process and clearing processes the wine was very full (near the bung). Now (aging) there is quite a bit of head space because I didnt want to use plastic and my glass carboy is a six gallon one...this recipe is for 5 gallons (I made 5.5)...It was an older kit that we gave to our in laws a few years ago and they never did anything with it so I took it back! It may just be bad ingredients. I used campden a few different times and some nutrients during the process but not exactly sure when without looking at my notes.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4923 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze View Post
I can't remember the kit I used, but it has been racked a couple times. It has been at least six months since we started it. For the fermentation process and clearing processes the wine was very full (near the bung). Now (aging) there is quite a bit of head space because I didnt want to use plastic and my glass carboy is a six gallon one...this recipe is for 5 gallons (I made 5.5)...It was an older kit that we gave to our in laws a few years ago and they never did anything with it so I took it back! It may just be bad ingredients. I used campden a few different times and some nutrients during the process but not exactly sure when without looking at my notes.
Well, oxidation can make a wine taste not great. I wonder if the oxidation combined with a not-fresh kit caused the problems. You really want to top up to the bung with wine. I've never heard of a 5 gallon wine kit, but if you watered it down by .5 gallon, that would also explain why it's watery and flavorless.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #6
Jmurm
Recipes 

You might be able to add some acid back to the wine, just use Tartaric acid, It might give it a boost from you adding too much water. Also you could add some tannin powder or oak chips to give it some tannin, and more flavor. If you added too much water you will have lowered the acid, and alcohol.

Quick Reply