New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Could Wine yeast be harvested?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Is the process the same as with beer where you wash and rack? Or better yet could you tell me how you do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I dont make beer (gasp), but I used the sticky in the beer forums to learn how to do it. I basically rack down till I am about to suck up the yeast and stop. From there I give it a good swish around to resuspend it in the remaining liquid (sometimes I add water to help out). From there I pour it in quart jars and put them in the fridge. After a few weeks ill take them out, decant, and put the remaining yeast slurry in pint 8-12 oz (pint?) jars. That's it. I've kept them for 4 months before and they still turn out fine. I always make a stirred starter when I go to use the though.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

What do you use for a starter? In beer i use dme but i don't think that will work to nice in wine

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It depends on what I'm making. I typically use about 1L of the juice I'm fermenting, 1/2 a teaspoon of DAP, and a 1/4 teaspoon yeast energizer. I put it on the stir plate for a full day while the must is sulfating, then toss the whole thing in.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
I think your confusing the purpose of a wine primary and a beer primary fermentor. A primary slurry is never going to be stressed.
Its oxygen rich, accustomed to an alcohol enviroment and just finished it's replicating stage.
Its the healthiest yeast possible.
Not so! A primary slurry is often stressed, and sometimes creates H2S even. In primary, a wine may go from 1.100 to 1.010 or even lower. Most wine primaries have the wine removed from the lees at 10-12% ABV, so that right there is one reason to not reuse wine yeast.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
jensmith
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

I have reused both wine sludge and yeast cakes. If I have a lot of sludge left over in the primary from the fermented fruit, I make a seconds wine with it. When I rack off the second time and have a nice yeast cake I have started a new wine with it. I have also used it to help out a slow or stuck ferment. However I have never saved it for more then a week. I am down to my last two yeast packets and am not dumping my used yeast untill I get more! Yeast cakes make a nice security blanket :-)
However, at $1 each, I usually just buy fresh and use that. They take up a lot less space then used yeast cakes!

Quick Reply