Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Cottonball airlock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Beernoulli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm making a sherry this weekend (all fermentation, no hard liquor) and I'm wondering if its possible to get the oxidation you'd get from a barrel. I read on Jack Keller's site that he uses a wad of cotton as a stopper on the secondary to develop the flor (basically a pellicle). Has anyone tried this? Would putting a cotton ball in the 3 piece airlock without the inside piece work the same? I don't want to have to buy a giant wad of cotton if I can use what I have.

Would this also give me the oxidation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If your 3 piece has a lid that will keep out gnats why bother with the cotton plug? You could even just put a piece of panty hose over the top of the 3 piece and secure it with a rubber band. Did you find a flor yeast? WVMJ

Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Beernoulli
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going for the higher alcohol content (18-20%) of the 2 main sherry type. I don't remember the name but I read the alcohol is too high for flor to develop. I didn't think about not even needing the cotton ball, I wonder if the little tiny ants I keep seeing are bigger than the holes in the cap.

Quick Reply