Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Corking non corked bottles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Corking non corked bottles.

Sooo, way back in the beginning of my college days I lived with my good friend from high school. That year we drank a TON of Jones soda, since they had it here and no one seem to know what it was except us, plus it was cheap at the dining halls.

We kept all of the bottles with the intention of doing something cool with them, I intended on building a giant bottle shaped lamp out of bottles... haha Well we never did anything with them, and I have been the one storing them for going on 5 years. I have a ton of these babies, seriously I think the count is like 300 something.

I am collecting bottles for my brewing hobby from friends. Beer bottles work great, especially so I can take a 6 or 12 pack to a buddies, without worrying about an aerating wine bottle. My question is, can I safely cork there Jones Soda bottles? I would use synthetics, so they can be stored as a regular beer bottle, but with no labeling and a nice cork, it would be like a 12oz wine bottle, with a bit a class. They were originally twist off caps (not crown) but the corks I have on hand now seem to fit well. Anyone with experience? I tried to search, but didn't find to definite of answers.

Here's what they look like:

The cork sticks an awfully far way into the bottle, since the neck is not as slender as a traditional wine bottle. If these don't work, no harm no foul. But if I can use these, they would be fantastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Corks were not ment to go into anything other than a wine bottle, especally if you are carbing whatever you're putting in them. I'd say buy a bench capper, which can put crown caps onto twist-top bottles, if you want it looking classy, look into some foil to go onto the tops or something.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Well you shouldn't carb anything with just a regular cork anyway, that's not my question. I would never carb these. Can a bench capper really cap a crown cap onto this? These bottles are NOT crown twist offs, they are non-crown twist offs.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Jones's are non-crown twist-offs? What do they put on there, plastic screw-tops? If they can't accept crown caps (mabey they can, I'd probably try with a few) then you're up a creek without a paddle and you'll have to find some other use for them.

Edit: you could probably cork them, then cover in wax if you really wanted to, but that'd be alot of work.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

They use an aluminum (I think) cap, shaped much like a standard 20oz pop bottle, but metal. as an example from google images.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

It's hard to see, but it looks like the cork is nice and snug at the top and away from the sides from the middle down. That would be a concern, that your wine could seep out, or air could seep in. What happens if you turn it upside down for a while?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't use them. I say bottle a few and see. Hell, if you've stored them for five years already, whats stopping you from storing all but 6-12 for the lenght of time it takes you to make a second batch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Tusch
Recipes 

Yooper is right, the cork appears to have contact for the top half. The liquid inside isn't brew, just some Koolaid colored water (hate the stuff) but I will cork one and leave it upside down for a while, checking for leaks, cork movement, etc.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe another issue here isn't just the pressure of the expending cork on the inside of the neck, but also that many cork pullers use the rim of the bottle as a fulcrum to pull the cork. The ones that don't, and that are simple a screw with a T-handle leave you potentially holding a bottle by the neck, where it is likely to break, while you forcefully yank the cork out.

The rim, and necks of wine bottles are reinforced for just these purposes.

I wonder if the screw tops for the brown plastic bottles that some brewers use will fit these threads? I think those can even be reused a time or two.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Tusch
Recipes 

How long do you think it being upside down would serve as a good test?

Quick Reply