Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Concord grape juice wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Concord grape juice wine?

Haven't made anything in a while and since I thought I'd try something on a budget that I've seen some decent reviews for, a Welch's grape juice wine. I was at the store and planned on getting Welch's juice (in the jug) but the generic brand right next to it was like half the price. Bad idea?
Anyway the concord grape juice has no preservatives, I bought some white grape juice also, and it does have potassium meta-bisulfite listed. I didn't know it and I only looked at the concord, assuming they'd be the same (mistake). I bought 6 jugs of concord and 2 jugs of the white grape. So my questions are:

1) What is the likely hood of slow to stuck fermentation using a small amount of juice that has K-Meta in it?

2) I was actually thinking of doing a Blackberry-Concord wine but the prices of frozen berries were like $5 per pound, but I can get them at work cheap. What If I add 10lbs of frozen blackberries, would you notice that flavor much compared to the concord?

3) The generics didn't specifically state Concord and Niagara grape juice, like the Welch's brand did. Again I was assuming since they are the popular choice for juice. Think that's a problem?

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

1) The companies normally put the minimum in their juice to preserve it to save money. So if you dilute it down with other juice you should be fine.

2) I'd say no. Blackberries have a very light flavor and it takes quite a bit to really come through. That might lend some tartness for sure though. But I don't think it would be identifiable as blackberry.

3) Since this is wine on a budget... nope, no worries.

4) Have you checked out Yoopers Welch's Concentrate Wine?

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl View Post
1) The companies normally put the minimum in their juice to preserve it to save money. So if you dilute it down with other juice you should be fine.

2) I'd say no. Blackberries have a very light flavor and it takes quite a bit to really come through. That might lend some tartness for sure though. But I don't think it would be identifiable as blackberry.

3) Since this is wine on a budget... nope, no worries.

4) Have you checked out Yoopers Welch's Concentrate Wine?
I did look at her recipe, it was one of the ideas that actually helped to decide to do it, but the grocery store was completely out of frozen concentrate juice so I had to go with the jugs. Who's drinking that much grape juice? Maybe just alot of people following Yooper's recipe?
I get the frozen fruit from US Foodservice and I think they're 20lb boxes, think that would be enough to fight the concord flavor? If not I'll buy the fruit and add some Zin concentrate for a dry wine.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Quick Reply