Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > concentrate wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
talleybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default concentrate wine

I'm at week one of my first wine and its a juice concentrate wine. The recipe I followed was 2 cans 100% juice no additives, gallon water, 2 cups sugar, and yeast. I sanitized everything and warmed water for a bit added and dissolved the sugar. I'm using red star pasture champagne yeast I active 1g of the 5g packet and mixed it all into my gallon carboy. Its been at a slow bubble ever since. The recipe says two weeks but on here I see months and racking a few times. I really only wanna see if I can make it so is that really necessary? Does this even sound good? From what I've read on here seems like its gonna be crap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think 2 cans/gallon will result in a very light, thin, poorly flavored wine. May be drinkable around 3-4 months. I would have used 4 cans per gallon, enough sugar to bump SG to 1.090. But you are right when you say months. Concentrate wines, like this, may make for early drinkers but six months out is not unlikely.
You could always grab another gallon container, add two cans of concentrate to what you have and then use 1 can/quart of water + 2 cups additional total sugar to hit 2 gallons, blend well, and divide between the two gallon containers. The yeast you already have on board will do the job. Or add two more cans to your current batch, and decant the excess volume after blending well into an appropiately sized container--perhaps a 500-750ml wine bottle, etc. Much better outcome anticipated. What flavor you working with?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 07-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
talleybrew
Recipes 

White grape and raspberry. I'd rather use fresh ingredients of course but I also don't want to waste them. That's why I did this first. I'm about to have loads of muscadines and blueberries.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I do not see mention of yeast nutrients here. Also only using 2 cans of concentrate makes this for a low nutrient must. That is probably why you see this going slow. My concentrate wines are 4 cans per gallon and usually don't need sugar added. I also add 1tsp yeast nutrient (DAP) and 1/2 tsp yeast energizer (any tan colored nutrient type). Even then the body and mouthfeel is a little light so I add 1TBS of my favorite loose leaf black tea to the primary. Then it will only take 1 - 2 weeks to ferment and then you can cold crash is and it will be crystal clear in under 30 days total time.

I have not tried white grape raspberry but others say that it ferments out to be very tart. I would probably let this ferment out and clear. Then stabilize with Camden and Sorbate. After 24 hours add 1 can of white grape concentrate and another of the white grape raspberry to sweeten and offset the tart flavors.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
talleybrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
I do not see mention of yeast nutrients here. Also only using 2 cans of concentrate makes this for a low nutrient must. That is probably why you see this going slow. My concentrate wines are 4 cans per gallon and usually don't need sugar added. I also add 1tsp yeast nutrient (DAP) and 1/2 tsp yeast energizer (any tan colored nutrient type). Even then the body and mouthfeel is a little light so I add 1TBS of my favorite loose leaf black tea to the primary. Then it will only take 1 - 2 weeks to ferment and then you can cold crash is and it will be crystal clear in under 30 days total time.

I have not tried white grape raspberry but others say that it ferments out to be very tart. I would probably let this ferment out and clear. Then stabilize with Camden and Sorbate. After 24 hours add 1 can of white grape concentrate and another of the white grape raspberry to sweeten and offset the tart flavors.
None of this is readily available to me. If I'd ordered today I'd have maybe Thursday. Is it worth the try on this batch or should I start over?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
neo71665
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

It will make wine, not something ya wanna pass out and brag about.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Well how about this. Try pasteurization then. Here is how you can do it:

First add your additional concentrate after you have racked a couple times and your wine is crystal clear. Then immediately bottle the wine.

Then, heat a large stock pot of water to 190 degrees F. A floating thermometer is a cheap tool that really adds convenience to this process.

When the temperature reaches 190, turn off the heat and add the bottles carefully to the pot. Try not to crowed the bottles.

Put on the lid and let sit for ten minutes.

After the hot water bath use some tongs and remove the bottles and place on the counter. Let cool to room temp completely then you can refrigerate.

That will keep the bottles from fermenting further.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Here's the recipe I've used often: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welchs-grape-juice-wine-21093/

I don't do anything like pasteurizing, adding nutrients if I don't have them handy, etc. and it comes out fine.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
talleybrew
Recipes 

Thanks guys... Yooper, in the recipe you used it calls for pectic enzyme. I thought it was used to help with breaking down the fruits cell walls if you didn't freeze it. Having said that is it better to use pectic enzyme with fresh fruit instead of freezing?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleybrew View Post
Thanks guys... Yooper, in the recipe you used it calls for pectic enzyme. I thought it was used to help with breaking down the fruits cell walls if you didn't freeze it. Having said that is it better to use pectic enzyme with fresh fruit instead of freezing?
Pectic enzyme also helps with juices, as all fruit juices have pectin as well. I freeze my fresh fruit, to help it break down, and use pectic enzyme to clear the wine. You don't have to use it, of course, but I get a super clear wine from juice very early using it.

Quick Reply