Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Coconut wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Newbrew12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Coconut wine

Any thoughts on how this is/would be? Coconuts are in season in my local market and I thought maybe it would be fun (and tasty) to try a wine from fresh coconut.

mythicbrewing.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Jack Keller's Coconut wine recipe

They use dry coconut though.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
ashfatboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good idea!post people post!!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I saw that they use dry in the recipe's but my question is why? Too much oil in fresh? I think the fresh would have more flavor. Couldn't I even do something with the coconut milk in it even? Idk, I've just been brainstorming but thought I'd shoot it out there!

mythicbrewing.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah, the fat content of coconut milk is quite high. Beyond Keller's recipe, I don't think you're going to have much luck. I didn't when I googled for it. Jack Keller is the Charlie Papazian/Yoda/God of home wine making, if there aren't multiple recipes on his site, then there aren't multiple recipes....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbrew12 View Post
Any thoughts on how this is/would be? Coconuts are in season in my local market and I thought maybe it would be fun (and tasty) to try a wine from fresh coconut.
You could always try the Gilligan method:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/coconut-mead-have-i-created-monster-182960/

Just a thought here, but what if you were to boil shredded fresh coconut along with the water from inside it with a little added water, press the coconut flesh to extract liquid & chill? Would the fat separate & congeal?

If you could skim it off the surface like cream, or filter it out by pouring through a paper coffee filter, you might get a good fermentation out of it.
Regards, GF.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
You could always try the Gilligan method:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/coconut-mead-have-i-created-monster-182960/

Just a thought here, but what if you were to boil shredded fresh coconut along with the water from inside it with a little added water, press the coconut flesh to extract liquid & chill? Would the fat separate & congeal?

If you could skim it off the surface like cream, or filter it out by pouring through a paper coffee filter, you might get a good fermentation out of it.
Regards, GF.
You know, I keep seeing this trick on cooking shows for "Freeze filtration" to get extremely clear yet very flavor infused liquids like for making consommes. It might work with your idea GF.

Here's an article on it from the NYTimes. I've seen videos on youtube as well. When I get to work I'll look them up.

The Essence of Nearly Anything, Drop by Limpid Drop.

I don't know if you'd have to add gelatine to the mix before you froze it or not. I don't think the fat from coconut has gelatine in it.

This would be interesting to try....

Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Heston Blumenthal demos it in this clip. Advance the timecode to 4:25 to see what he's doing.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

O_o that looks like it might work. Thinking boil it in the coconut milk with some water and put it on the cheesecloth like it looks like he does and the fluids should drain to the bottom? It looks like all the fat and oils wouldn't drain through. Sound like I'm on the right track from watching that and from what gratus is saying? I wonder how many coconuts it would take? They're fairly cheep here right now which would be a huge plus if we can get it to work.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
sorry off topic but that article is by harold mcgee, and he is awesome, if you haven't leafed through a copy of his seminal manual of science in the kitchen (on food and cooking) do it! just open to a random page, it's super informative and will teach you a lot of the relatively simple chemistry that goes on in our food, and it will affect (positively) the way you cook, brew, and even make wine and cider!! he is even heston blumenthal's science mentor btw. and he writes great articles for the new york times. whoops i got a bit excited. back to the coconuts

Quick Reply