Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Co2 at bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
jscerri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Co2 at bottling

Should be bottling the niagra mist kit bit has so much co2 in it! I've attempted to de gas over tue last 3 days but am worried I am going to lose the batch! I've filtered it because it was really cloudy but still loads of co2! Any suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscerri View Post
Should be bottling the niagra mist kit bit has so much co2 in it! I've attempted to de gas over tue last 3 days but am worried I am going to lose the batch! I've filtered it because it was really cloudy but still loads of co2! Any suggestions!
Keep degassing, or let it sit and degas naturally but don't bottle a gassy wine!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Keep degassing, or let it sit and degas naturally but don't bottle a gassy wine!
Yooper - you ever tried a hand vacuum pump, clean shop vac, or something similar to degas the wine? I was thinking it could help here. They look interesting but suspicious (if something looks too good to be true ...), so I haven't tried anything but "stirring vigorously."

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
Yooper - you ever tried a hand vacuum pump, clean shop vac, or something similar to degas the wine? I was thinking it could help here. They look interesting but suspicious (if something looks too good to be true ...), so I haven't tried anything but "stirring vigorously."
I have a wine whip that I use with my drill. I've heard about people using the mity-vac successfully (the brake bleeder device) but I don't have one.

One thing that helps alot- getting the wine warmer. A colder wine really holds onto co2. But if you can get the wine to 75 degrees or so or more, it'll degas easier.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

Hand pump works fine but it takes a lot of pumping, if you can sit in front of the tv and give it a few pumps every few minutes it works great...but if you have something better to do an electric is a better choice.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Any suggestions on size/power for the pump? I have these visions stuck in my head of a carboy imploding. I also have my old food saver - I could hook that up to a carboy cap and see how it works.

Yooper - good call on heating it up - I should pick up a wine whip next time I'm at the LHBS (local home brew store for those readers unfamiliar with beer terminology).

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Any suggestions on size/power for the pump? I have these visions stuck in my head of a carboy imploding. I also have my old food saver - I could hook that up to a carboy cap and see how it works.

Yooper - good call on heating it up - I should pick up a wine whip next time I'm at the LHBS (local home brew store for those readers unfamiliar with beer terminology).
A wine whip is better for mixing than degassing, hook your foodsaver to it and let it suck away. I throttle mine by eye and let it hum away. I actually don't have a vac gauge so I don't know how many inches of mercury I'm actually pulling. Never blew one up yet....I think the stopper would get sucked in first.

a 3/8" barb fitting fits a drilled bung nice and tight, get a slightly larger bung, a 3/8" barb to NPT, then NPT reducer and barb to whatever size your foodsaver hose is. Polyethylene tubing is cheap and works perfect.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
jscerri
Recipes 

Thanks guys! I have been whipping it but seem to be getting no where! I fear that I may be introducing oxygen while whopping it though!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used a hand vac with pretty good success. I normally pump it until bubbles start forming and then let it sit and pump it another few times every time I pass by it. Typically it will be completely degassed after about two days but I normally keep it up for about a week just to make sure.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
jscerri
Recipes 

I've refrigerated my hole Carboy to stop fermentation as ag was dropping due to active fermentation! This was causing continued co2 growth!

Quick Reply