Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Clove & Ginger Wine not clearing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
stuart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clove & Ginger Wine not clearing

My clove & ginger wine has been racked once, has thrown a second deposit and stopped fermenting. But it is still so hazy I don't want to rack again until I find out how to clear it.
Do I add pectolase when I rack for the second time? do I add fining gel now then rack in a couple of days? or would i add pectolase when racking then wait and fine it? The insructions I used never said anything about adding pectolase etc.

Clove & Ginger Wine:
1oz Cloves
3lb light brown sugar
1oz fresh root ginger
3 lemons
1 orange
1 gallon water
yeast & nutrient

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart
My clove & ginger wine has been racked once, has thrown a second deposit and stopped fermenting. But it is still so hazy I don't want to rack again until I find out how to clear it.
Do I add pectolase when I rack for the second time? do I add fining gel now then rack in a couple of days? or would i add pectolase when racking then wait and fine it? The insructions I used never said anything about adding pectolase etc.

Clove & Ginger Wine:
1oz Cloves
3lb light brown sugar
1oz fresh root ginger
3 lemons
1 orange
1 gallon water
yeast & nutrient
You could use the pectolase in the primary now and then rack and use poly-clar to the secondary. Or you could just rack to the secondary and use the poly-clar by itself, but pectolase would be a nice touch.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Before adding Pectolase what temperature/where are you storing your racked wine?

Old 12-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcruz
You could use the pectolase in the primary now and then rack and use poly-clar to the secondary. Or you could just rack to the secondary and use the poly-clar by itself, but pectolase would be a nice touch.
He's already racked it! He's past primary AND secondary!

Last edited by Caplan; 12-28-2005 at 10:08 PM.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
He's already racked it! He's past primary AND secondary!
well then he could go to a third vessel, but the procedure is still the same

Last edited by usmcruz; 12-28-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #6
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
well then he could go yo a third vessel, but the procedure is still the same
And it'll still be cloudy! Pectin isn't present in cloves or ginger in significant quantities and one orange (which does contain it) won't be enough to create a pectin haze. Ginger will have some starches in which might need an amylase to clear it but it's unlikely. Firstly I'd make sure the Demijohn/carboy is stored COLD for a few weeks (a frost free garage/porch/attic etc). That'll hopefully drop another sediment fairly quickly. You'll then know if you need to filter or use finings if it doesnt.
I have country wines like this that have been racked 5 times before bottling just because the temp hasn't been low enough.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:19 AM   #7
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
And it'll still be cloudy! Pectin isn't present in cloves or ginger in significant quantities and one orange (which does contain it) won't be enough to create a pectin haze. Ginger will have some starches in which might need an amylase to clear it but it's unlikely. Firstly I'd make sure the Demijohn/carboy is stored COLD for a few weeks (a frost free garage/porch/attic etc). That'll hopefully drop another sediment fairly quickly. You'll then know if you need to filter or use finings if it doesnt.
I have country wines like this that have been racked 5 times before bottling just because the temp hasn't been low enough.
Your right pectin isnt really a problem in cloves and ginger, but did you forget the 3 lemons he used combined with one orange. It will take an ice age of temperature to clear that wine. Pectin enzyme and poly-clar will do the trick.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Your right pectin isnt really a problem in cloves and ginger, but did you forget the 3 lemons he used combined with one orange. It will take an ice age of temperature to clear that wine. Pectin enzyme and poly-clar will do the trick.
I disagree about the 'Ice age' reference - it's undrinkable now anyway (far too young!), so no rush - a few weeks in cold will help to drop any remaining yeast cells and really determine if its a real haze requiring enzymes. A quick pectin test would determine the result of course - Unless stuart followed a jam recipe with his citrus fruit i doubt it'll need anything other than patience!
Polyclar removes polyphenolic compounds and oxidized melanoidins. Although it will remove some haze it is not primarily a fining agent - it's a quick fix to remove excess tannins and 'off flavours/discolourings' - neither of which stuart has suggested.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
I disagree about the 'Ice age' reference - it's undrinkable now anyway (far too young!), so no rush - a few weeks in cold will help to drop any remaining yeast cells and really determine if its a real haze requiring enzymes. A quick pectin test would determine the result of course - Unless stuart followed a jam recipe with his citrus fruit i doubt it'll need anything other than patience!
Polyclar removes polyphenolic compounds and oxidized melanoidins. Although it will remove some haze it is not primarily a fining agent - it's a quick fix to remove excess tannins and 'off flavours/discolourings' - neither of which stuart has suggested.
tomatoes tomatoes, pectolase will do the trick

Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
tomatoes tomatoes, pectolase will do the trick
got a good tomato chutney recipe you wanna share then?

Quick Reply