Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Cloudy, jelly-like sediment forming on bottom of carboy - is this yeast or mold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
rtogio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Cloudy, jelly-like sediment forming on bottom of carboy - is this yeast or mold?

Hey all!

I was wondering if someone out there could possibly help me out. I made a batch of rosehip wine a while back, and a few weeks ago I racked it off to separate the wine from the lees. For full disclosure, I also made up the difference in the second carboy with a sugar water solution.

I looked into the carboy today and noticed that a cloudy, almost jelly-like sediment is forming at the bottom. I think it MIGHT be dead yeast, but it's not settling out flat like yeast usually does.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it just yeast settling or is this a serious problem?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well without a Pic it is pure speculation but I wouldn't think it would be mold as it is on the bottom of your carboy. Generally Mold will only grow where it has exposure to air. That said id be willing to bet it is just yeast and lees settling out. But if you post a pic im sure someone more experienced than I would be more easily able to help steer you in the right direction.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply