Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Clearing Wine Faster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
kinkothecarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Clearing Wine Faster?

First and foremost, I found this technique in a book about distilling. Seeing as though it is against the rules to post the book or the link, I will shorten the method the book suggests on clearing wine without reference to anything that might be illegal:

"...[Homebrewers/Winemakers] must fully clarify any fruit wine before cooking it. Rather than using clarifies, put the wine into 2 or 4 liter jugs and freeze them solid. Then thaw them out. This will result in perfectly clear and chill-stabilized wine...After the thawing is complete or maybe as much as a week after, the wine will be crystal clear."

Do you think this method would work for our purposes? If it is some crazy thing which would mess up wine for drinking, then it's probably not worth it. Has anyone ever thought of doing this with apfelwien, though? I know commercial wineries don't do it, and I'm guessing if they don't, it's not a viable method...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The yeast will drop out faster, but there is so much chemistry happening while a wine ages that it really does take several months to complete. While this is happening more solids fall out. Add so2 and even more solids fall out. So just let nature takes it's course and the wine will clear naturally.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's called cold-crashing and lots of wines are made that way, they are generally sweet wines, though.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
jdrum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cold crashing is not done by freezing solid, it is done in a temp controled freezer holding the temp around 29 to 32 degrees to help clear wine and reduce tartic acid. goggle the term for a more compleat description

jim

Old 06-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
jdrum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

freezing apple cider is the old timers way of making applejack ,

Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

its called freeze distilling, all the non alcoholic properties freeze and the alcohol stays in liquid form. This is all I am going to say because I could explain to you why its in your distilling book but im not going to on this forum haha.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The method described in the book seems to be a technique to knock out the yeast, not to concentrate. Instead of cold crashing and making the yeasties go to sleep it's a hard freeze to kill them.
Seems like way too much work transferring the batch in small jugs to freeze, then back in a larger container to wait for the dead yeast to settle and then bottle.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
Honda88
Recipes 

there is no reason to kill yeast if your distilling alcohol there ive done and said it, alcohol does not freeze, wine has only 13% alcohol in it so if you freeze it you seperate the properties and then moonshining it makes it even that much more potent....

Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88
there is no reason to kill yeast if your distilling alcohol there ive done and said it, alcohol does not freeze, wine has only 13% alcohol in it so if you freeze it you seperate the properties and then moonshining it makes it even that much more potent....
What are you saying? I was under the impression the op is trying to clear wine without additives not some moonshine adventure.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Honda88
Recipes 

he found the technique in a book about distilling, freezing does not clear wine it seperates the alcohol from everything else. gravity will clear your wine you just have to know how to run a siphon properly.. peace brother....cheers

Quick Reply