Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Chrissy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #21
Chrissy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi smokey, haven't cordials got preservatives in them ? And really watered down ,didn't realize I can use them ,

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #22
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Im not too sure, I'm in Canada so lots of frozen concentrate in the grocery store. I've just seen some youtube brewing videos from the UK that have mentioned that they use cordials instead of frozen concentrate juice in recipes calling for the frozen concentrate. Aren't the cordials just concentrated juice syrup? If they are, just dilute to the desired SG and then add yeast and ferment out. As for the preservatives, I'm not sure but you could probably find ones that don't have any.

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:44 AM   #23
scarekrow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok now I'm a little confused. Why search all over for grape juice when she has about a pound (half kilo) of grapes?

If it was my recipe I would thaw out the grapes, rhubarb and the strawberries and put in mesh bag. Pour over with 1 gallon (I think about 5 liters) of boiling water mixed with about a kilo of sugar and a teaspoon of nutrient. Crush a campden tablet and mix in. Let cool and wait at least 24 hours, then pitch yeast. Cover with airlock and watch bubble. Remove all fruit in about 5 days top up container and let finish ferment.

If you have a hydrometer just take readings as you go.

Sorry about the mixed measures.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #24
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yep have hydrometer ,still learning that part ,that sounds good with the grapes nice and easy ,and most of our cordials we just add water thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #25
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well started my rhubarb, and berry wine ,ended up with ,2kg Rhubarb, 2kg strawberrys ,2.half Kg mix berry. 1kg grapes. Have got all out of freezer put berries in bucket with campden tablet, rhubarb in separate bucket so can mash tomorrow , do I put hot water and sugar in ,desolve then add fruit , what else do I need to start apart from yeast please,

Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well I used my Hydrometer and my berry wine was just under 1000 so racked it into a clean carboy but boy is it sour it has an alcohol taste,. think I will definitly have to back sweeten , I have been having a bit of a swat up on different sweetners ,? that sounds a bit confusing some say sugar syrup , another says honey , some even suggest stevia,, or a beer and wine sweetner with an introduction by Chris Reading,the directions for that say half tsp for 25 litres 500 times sweeter than sugar has anyone heard of this please and if so was it any good

Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Well I used my Hydrometer and my berry wine was just under 1000 so racked it into a clean carboy but boy is it sour it has an alcohol taste,. think I will definitly have to back sweeten , I have been having a bit of a swat up on different sweetners ,? that sounds a bit confusing some say sugar syrup , another says honey , some even suggest stevia,, or a beer and wine sweetner with an introduction by Chris Reading,the directions for that say half tsp for 25 litres 500 times sweeter than sugar has anyone heard of this please and if so was it any good
It will lose some of that tart sour flavor as it ages a bit.

Once it's completely clear, you can stabilize with sorbate and campden and sweeten with anything you'd like.

Some people love honey (I don't) and some people love fruit juice for sweetening- whatever your taste prefers is what is good to sweeten with.

There is a product called "wine conditioner" which has the stabilizers and the sweetener built in together. Some people like that, but I think it may be too sweet for me.

It's really up to you! Once the wine has aged about 60 days without any lees in the bottom of the carboy/demijohn, you could pull out a small sample and try various things. Sweeten some with some honey or simple syrup or fruit juice and taste. That's the best way to make the wine you like!

One tip- sweeten it to exactly how you like it and then use your hydrometer to measure your sample. If it's say, 1.012, and you love it there then you'll sweeten the whole batch to that SG by adding the sugar/juice/honey/whatever. The only thing to be aware of is that for some reason it seems to get sweeter a bit in the bottle. So, if you love it at that 1.012, sweeten the whole batch to just under that level, at 1.010.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #28
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Yooper will do

Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #29
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well I've finished my mixed berry and rhubarb wine ,and put it away to bring out in a few weeks ,to rack the lees off if need be ,tastes nice ,can taste the berries in there so hope that means that taste will come out more with time ,back sweetened with sugar syrup, but left it a bit tart so hopefully all good,,,, next project is beer not much of that left

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Well I've finished my mixed berry and rhubarb wine ,and put it away to bring out in a few weeks ,to rack the lees off if need be ,tastes nice ,can taste the berries in there so hope that means that taste will come out more with time ,back sweetened with sugar syrup, but left it a bit tart so hopefully all good,,,, next project is beer not much of that left
If you sweetened it, it probably will keep fermenting. You don't want to sweeten it for a good long time yet, until after it's completely clear and longer dropping lees, and has been properly stabilized.

Quick Reply