Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Chrissy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Guys, before you get down on the poster, I do believe that Chrisy is referring to themselves as the one having a "thick head" meaning a little dense, that's why, the next part of the phrase is a direct question about when to add the yeast.

I think we would say something akin to "I'm a little dense with this wine stuff, when do you add the yeast?" or "I'm a little confused by all this, when do you add the yeast."

Or maybe, "You have someone with a thick head [here] Peter, when do you add..." or perhaps, "Peter, you're dealing with a person with a thick head here, please clarify as to when to add the yeast."

Methinks you're a little quick on the trigger here gang, I read the poster as being self-abasing, not attacking the answerer. The "you" who has a thick head they're referring to is themselves.

Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of Masterchef Australia/New Zealand that I'm seeing the linguistic differences.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Guys, before you get down on the poster, I do believe that Chrisy is referring to themselves as the one having a "thick head" meaning a little dense, that's why, the next part of the phrase is a direct question about when to add the yeast.

I think we would say something akin to "I'm a little dense with this wine stuff, when do you add the yeast?" or "I'm a little confused by all this, when do you add the yeast."

Or maybe, "You have something with a thick head [here] Peter, when do you add..." or perhaps, "Peter, you're dealing with a person with a thick head here, please clarify as to when to add the yeast."

Methinks you're a little quick on the trigger here gang, I read the poster as being self-abasing, not attacking the answerer. The "you" who has a thick head they're referring to is themselves.

Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of Masterchef Australia/New Zealand that I'm seeing the linguistic differences.
Oh, I totally misread that! You're right, and I am totally wrong.

I see what you are saying, and I must apologize profusely to the OP. I read it as an insult to someone else, and not in regards to themselves. I'm sorry for ME being thick-headed. I am very sorry!
People Like This 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
PatrickSweetman
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Regardless, one of the gentlest ways of preparing a good juice, suitable for fermenting, is to cover the fruit with boiling sugar solution, 15% to 20%, and allow the flavours and colours to be extracted osmotically overnight. This is a good technique for both beginner and advanced wine making because the fruit is only blanched, avoiding evaporation of delicate aroma components, and avoiding solubilizing pectic acids and other things which will cause cloudy wine.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:19 AM   #14
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys, sorry if I upset some people,, not intended, just meant that I needed more info ,and felt a bit slow as first try without kit,no nasty comment to others, will be more careful

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

And thanks Patrick will keep you informed

Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #16
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just having a look at Jack Kellars recipes sound Mmm but most have wine juice concentrate ,which believe it or not is a hard thing to find in nz is there any thing else that can be used to add to fruit

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Just having a look at Jack Kellars recipes sound Mmm but most have wine juice concentrate ,which believe it or not is a hard thing to find in nz is there any thing else that can be used to add to fruit

I think that's "WHITE" grape juice frozen concentrate, not "wine" juice concentrate. Same thing as frozen orange juice concentrate, just with white grape juice instead of orange juice.

You should be able to find it in most grocery stores, it's pretty common.
http://www.welchs.com/products/concentrates/100-juice-concentrates/100-juice-concentrates---frozen/100-white-grape-juice-frozen-concentrate

If you can't find it, you could add chopped raisins. The most common raisins are actually made from white grapes. They'll add a bit of body, some sugar, a bit of acid & maybe a wee bit of tannin. Just pulse them a few times in a food processor & add them to the must with the rest of the fruit. A dose of pectic enzyme will help to break 'em down.
Regards, GF.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #18
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Can't buy that here went to town and brought some grapes ,read on google how to make concentrate so have ended up with 3cups so all good

Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I think that you might be able to get various fruit cordials? I've read that the British don't have frozen concentrate readily available either and they say that cordials are pretty much the same thing except theyre not frozen. Maybe this is available in NZ?

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chrissy

Thanks guys will keep you informed,just waiting to finish a Hedgegrow apple and rosehips first before I start my new project ,my wash has been on over two weeks now supposed to be finished but it's still bubbling really strong at moment (sorry if I offended some people,a was talking about myself being a bit slow on the uptake). Will have to be a bit more careful,,,,this is now a couple of weeks later all ready to bottle my apple and rosehips wine had stabilized and all set to go but hasn't cleared enough used kieslsol and chitosam still not clear put lid back on to give it more time and it's fermenting again. HELP

Quick Reply