Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Chrissy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Chrissy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chrissy

Hi another fairly newbie here from nz can anyone give me a recipe for frozen ,,rhubarb 1and quarter kg. 1 kg strawberrys,,half kg mix berry ,, and half kg grapes I cut up put in freezer to. What else do I need to make a brew ,have yeast ,campden tablets ,nutrients , is there anything else and what is the best way to go about it cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chris Wyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Hi another fairly newbie here from nz can anyone give me a recipe for frozen ,,rhubarb 1and quarter kg. 1 kg strawberrys,,half kg mix berry ,, and half kg grapes I cut up put in freezer to. What else do I need to make a brew ,have yeast ,campden tablets ,nutrients , is there anything else and what is the best way to go about it cheers

Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
PatrickSweetman
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is a rule of thumb that 600 g fruit makes a litre of wine. With the ingredients that you have you can easily make a gallon flagon, or 5 litres.

Start out with any recipe involving rhubarb or berries.

Personally, I would thaw out all of the ingredients and then pour over them 5 litres of booiling 20% sugar solution. Let stand overnight and then filter through muslin or cloth. Then proceed as if you had grape juice.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Chrissy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Patrick , but you have a thick head here when do I add yeast ,and should I have a Camden tablet in that lot ,in other words could you run me through what you would do ,I've only done kits and have an apple and rosehips ,Hedgerow kit on the go now ,done mostly spirits up till now , a couple beer kits, now keen to do my own wine not sure where to start cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
PatrickSweetman
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Other people may give you different advice, but as far as I can see it is very difficult to stuff up winemaking.

The essence of winemaking is to make a delicious juice. The better the juice tastes the better your final wine. So do some variation on the method I originally suggested and when you get a yummy juice take it from there. I have lost more than one batch of potential wine because everybody wanted the juice. Once you have the juice it is just like with a kit. Throw in the yeast, either dry or after making a starter bottle and when you get a good sediment or a thick stable curd siphon the fermenting juice into an airlocked container and leave it until the weather warms next spring.

Winemaking is like cooking. You can indulge in all sorts of variation and still have something to show for it. Your mixture of ingredients is unconventional enough to raise eyebrows, but don't let that stop you.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

Quote:
Hi Chrissy, you might find this useful:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp
Just scroll down for an alphabetical list of recipes.

Also, you might find these helpful:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Joy-Home-Wine-Making/dp/0380782278
AND
http://www.amazon.com/The-Compleat-Meadmaker-Production-Award-winning/dp/0937381802
Regards, GF.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Thanks Patrick , but you have a thick head here when do I add yeast ,and should I have a Camden tablet in that lot ,in other words could you run me through what you would do ,I've only done kits and have an apple and rosehips ,Hedgerow kit on the go now ,done mostly spirits up till now , a couple beer kits, now keen to do my own wine not sure where to start cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
"Do you have a thick head" is not an appropriate response to someone who is trying to figure out what you are asking and trying to help.

Perhaps state your questions more clearly if you would like specific answers to specific questions, and please refrain from other remarks like the "thick head" comment. No one made a snide comment at your inability to formulate a properly worded question, and we would expect you to do the same.

This forum has rules, and while we are a rather laid back and genial bunch we will not tolerate name-calling or personal remarks. There are probably other forums out there that would be a better fit for you if you can't follow certain rules of conduct and behave in an appropriate manner.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Welcome to the forum Chrissy

Maybe "you have a thick head here" might be something that is said in Christchurch when someone doesn't understand the question or the question was un-understandable. Thats the way I took it anyway. Its hard to understand a different cultures particular slang unless youre immersed in that culture. On the other hand, if it was said with ill intentions then it should have been corrected.

Let us not combat insults with more insults though Yooper. That doesn't set a good example for the rest of the members of this forum to aspire to. To say "No one made a snide comment at your inability to formulate a properly worded question" is actually you making a snide comment about her use of the English language. Not everyone speaks(types) with a North American dialect.

Again, welcome aboard Chrissy

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
HollyGayle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chrissy, your mix sounds interesting. Please keep us advised as to how things are turning out. Fruit wines are wonderful. Keep your equipment clean and sanitized, your humor active and be willing to share with us your results. New brewer here wants to know.

Quick Reply